User

Default Old .303 hunting rifle - deceased owner

Good Morning all.
    I need some advice regarding a .303 rifle that belonged to my Father in law.
    He passed away last week friday and according to my wife, he had a .303 rifle that he inherited from his father. Aparently he had a license for it (still in the ID book). Never went for the green license card.
    Now she would like to take the rifle and get it restored but have it deregistered and have its firing mechanism removed legally and use it as a display rifle.
    Would this even be possible, since it is practically an unlicensed firearm currently? If yes, how do we go about this?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: Old .303 hunting rifle - deceased owner

It is not an unlicensed firearm.

A gunsmith would be able to advise on the process and supply the documentation. Probably there are an estate attorney helping you sorting out the sad events that needs to be finalized. He will also be able to assist with the best procedure under the circumstances.

I have bought various private owned firearms recently that where all just having ID licenses and all were valid and transferred to myself without any concerns from CFR or DFO side.