Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Bullet accuracy at different ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Like it or not, you may also have a degree of pre firing flinch when shooting the 7 x 64.
    I have noticed how absolutely slack, with out tension I am when shooting the .204. There is no need to hold, control or even consider scope half mooning you or recoil catching a nerve or pinching a muscle.
    The .204 is effortless and with out repercussions of any sort.

Now whether you think so or not, 99% of us prepare our bodies for abuse when we fire any reasonable caliber. We are informed, learn by experience beings that even learn from others(we have all seen the pictures) - we know there is a chance of hurt every time we fire. Our bodies know and expect recoil and loud noise, we get ready for it. Some people get ready to the extent that we call it a flinch, sometimes we say "a bad flinch", sometimes we mention that he has a bit of a flinch, but the pre shot flinch is always there, its just more measurable at 300 m than 100 m.

Rail guns purpose kinda explain this well.
    I do try developing a flinch by putting similar thumb hole stocks on both my rifles to try and "trick" myself into thinking they will recoil the same. I also shoot the 204 more, to try keep me from developing a flinching habit. Perhaps I have failed at this?

Concentrate on sites. And disconnect finger. This is the words I still hear from an old shooter at Milnerton Shooting Range. If you do this. You cant flinch because your focussed on sites. Thinking about anything but the sights gives you time to think about recoil thats coming causing that flinch

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Concentrate on sites. And disconnect finger. This is the words I still hear from an old shooter at Milnerton Shooting Range. If you do this. You cant flinch because your focussed on sites. Thinking about anything but the sights gives you time to think about recoil thats coming causing that flinch
    Concentrate on sites. And disconnect finger.
    I have been saying this a lot this hunting season.
    I always say disconnect your brain from the trigger and put it in the cross and the cross on the target, now keep all your thoughts on the target like you willing the bullet there. Keep thinking seeing only the cross and pull the trigger slowly, only pay attention to the cross forget the trigger it will fire when it fires.

User

This might interest some. 50, 75 and 100 yard indoor testing of various rimfire loads.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...3/m/9871088921

Results
    https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns...mparison-test/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    This might interest some. 50, 75 and 100 yard indoor testing of various rimfire loads.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...3/m/9871088921

Results
    https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns...mparison-test/
    Rim fire is becoming more and more enjoyable to me. I think I shoot a lot, not like the h/gun training compo guys, but for a rifle hunter I shoot quiet a lot, 50 - 200 rounds every second week end mostly.
    Of that shooting I usually fire 2/5 shots center fire before the hunt and then box's of .22 after hunt and lunch break time.

User

We are talking about bullet accuracy at different ranges, correct?

In theory the only thing that would govern such if normal ballistic criteria are met will be bullet quality, that is it. If you bolt a gun down to a bench and start shooting then if you compensate for the wind variable then what you want to see is MOA accuracy reflected at all the different distances.

For the average Joe this is difficult because the charges must be damn near exactly the same, meaning the combo must have a very low SD and ES values. Ordinary folk shoot groups at 100m without realizing that means nothing, you can have a MOA group but the velocity spread is all over the place. This shows at distance, a slower bullet will drop more and be blown by the wind more. A slower bullet will have a different stability number and BC, etc etc the list is very long.

Long range shooters strives for consistency, in their bullets and in their reloading.

Banned

Messor's echo.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Rim fire is becoming more and more enjoyable to me. I think I shoot a lot, not like the h/gun training compo guys, but for a rifle hunter I shoot quiet a lot, 50 - 200 rounds every second week end mostly.
    Of that shooting I usually fire 2/5 shots center fire before the hunt and then box's of .22 after hunt and lunch break time.
    If fun is the aim then you can't go wrong uncle. I think rimfire shooters are like the guys that race minis, they don't have the fanciest cars but they have the most fun.
    I really enjoy doing all the things guns can do but more often so I have a 22 handgun, semi, target, lever and falling block. All I need is a revolver.
    It is also very exiting finding new ammo and testing it because there are so many, it feels like presents.

On topic: If OP was talking about rimfires at those distances we would be talking a lot about bullet stability when going from supersonic to back under the speed of sound.
    There has been some guys saying lately that they tested supersonic rounds going under and they do not think that it is really true that it affects accuracy.

Ive heard of guys in CPT now starting up 22lr ELR shooting. Shooting +300m

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Ive heard of guys in CPT now starting up 22lr ELR shooting. Shooting +300m
    As per my Ausie trip post, we were shooting .22 sub sonics at 304 m. The target that day was a 1 lt milk carton - it was easy after a while.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast