Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Range rifle - where to start

I had a similiar problem with my Howa. Did the Messor mod with a metal spacer under the bedding pillar and a youtube clip on how to sort the trigger and it's a beast with the right load at 100 yards it shoots a single large hole. Like the flexi hogue stock cuz im not bothered if it gets surface damage.

User

Default Re: Range rifle - where to start

My Howa journey started on the reloading forum and took 10 pages of patient members input to get it grouping reasonably well.
    First thing I did was disregard most of the input relating to checking the rifle out. logic, it's a new rifle what could go wrong. Well clearly a lot.
    But first bullets, this particular beast hates PMP in particular and flat base bullets in general.I wish it would shoot the PMP offering but for love or money it won't do anything special with them.
    Scope, it was ok, what did happen is that the cross hair was thick enough to obscure the1 inch dot I was aiming at, making it a bit of a guessing game to reliably shoot to same POA. Took me a while to figure out.
    Neck sizing die, well it works,but this one has a pretty tight chamber,took me a while to figure out that A body die made by chopping off the top of the full length sizer so that it just sizes the body and set up to just chamber the round with a little resistance, then neck size, so really full sizing in 2 steps but more accurately.
    Bedded the stock, it a Boydes wooden stock and a rattle fit, after bedding I can remove action, replace and it will shoot pretty much bang on where it was.
    Smooth and grease the trigger pins, I also polished the sear but it's not really necessary, then for good measure I had 1 gauge lighter trigger spring made.
    True up the locking lugs, normally the left one is contacting the most(it's shiny, the right one hardly).
    All made small incremental improvements while giving me trigger time.
    Now it's as good as the shooter who uses it can shoot.
    Long story for a stubborn person but the sweetness of success is priceless.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3