Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Chassi for hunting and long range shooting that wont brake the bank?

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    A single rifle that fulfills both roles? You know it won't be spectacularly good at either.

A Howa Hogue Sporter in .308Win weighs 5.35Lb. Add a Leupold 4-12x50 scope at 15Oz as well as rings and bases and you are looking at 6.3Lb.

The base weight of a howa short action 24" bull barrel barrelled action is 6.6Lb. Add a 4Lb chassis and 1.8Lb 5-25x56 scope and you are looking at 12.4Lb or just about double the weight of the normal sporter rifle. Anyone who tells you carrying a 12.4Lb rifle is the same as carrying a 6.3Lb rifle is lying to you. Carry such a heavy rifle for five or six days and you will start to hate it.
    But all the cool kids on YouTube are doing it, it must be the only way to go... Even their "lightweight" hunting rifles have chassis systems and monster scopes.

Each to their own I guess.

User

Default Re: Chassi for hunting and long range shooting that wont brake the bank?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    But all the cool kids on YouTube are doing it, it must be the only way to go... Even their "lightweight" hunting rifles have chassis systems and monster scopes.

Each to their own I guess.
    I tried the target/ hunting rifle in one, hence why I commented. I hated the rifle so much I wanted to sell it at some point.

User

The Hogue stocks can be made into a very good stock with minimum effort if it does not works as it is, which it often does.

There is no reason why you can't fit the Hogue for hunting and swap to a chassis for range work. Yes, you will probably have to re-sight when swapping but then again good long range ammunition is not going to be good hunting ammunition anyway so sighting in will need to be done anyway.

Having one rifle with two stocks, and maybe two scopes, is not as convenient as having two dedicated rifles but it can work.

User

"Chassis" and "hunting" doesn't really work that well together. They're heavy and uncomfortable to carry the whole day. TStone has a point.

User

I have rifles in chassis and stocks. My go to for your need would be a Bell & Carlson competition stock.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User

You can also look at the stg invictus chassis local made and looks like decent.

User

I would say just have 2 rifles, one for hunting and one for long range. For hunting stick with a wooden or good after market stock with embedded pillars and with action bedded, especially if you walk and stalk or hunt in mountainous terrain, believe me your back and legs will feel the pain after a full day of walking. For long range and its only for PRS or ELR shooting etc get a chassis and be done with it, helps absorb felt recoil and give a more stable platform to shoot from. There is a reason why you see guys doing PRS, ELR are always in the prone position or on barricades, them guns are heavy. If you really want to change the stock to a chassis go with something that looks like a traditional stock but has an Aluminum bedding block or backbone. MDT XRS, KRG Bravo, ( Bergara HMR stock, Rem 700 footprint only though)
    Armtec looks like a great local stock
    I would rather go hunting all day with my BSA in its wooden stock than lug around my KRG Bravo Remington.

User

I have just ordered TSP X chassis for my Weatherby Vanguard in .270 and expecting it by the weekend. I am anxious to see if it is all worth the hype, but looking forward to trying it. I still have both the Hogue and Boyd stocks if it is a dismal failure.

User

Forgot to ask the question regarding the detachable magazines for the long action Howa / Weatherby chassis. Does anyone know where to get them at a reasonable price? I have looked around and nobody seems to have stock of the LA magazines, plenty of SA in both 5 round and 10 rounds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2