Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Chassi for hunting and long range shooting that wont brake the bank?

Hi Guys.

I am looking at getting a Howa M1500 .308 in brushed stainless steel.
    I want to put this on a chassi that will suit both hunting and long range shooting.
    Any suggestions I have one in mind but what to hear others thoughts.

Default Re: Chassi for hunting and long range shooting that wont brake the bank?

There are two local options. Gunwarrior or Armtec.

The quality is superior to anything imported.

Armtec has Howa stocks at about half the price of a Gunwarrior chassis, if you do that route, let them fit a fore-end rail and a rear mono-pod.

Default Re: Chassi for hunting and long range shooting that wont brake the bank?

I dont think not break the bank goes with Chasis. lol

Safari has special on the GRS stocks. But thats not really the same.

I bought couple years back the MDT HS3.

I kind of differ on the local once. As the MDT gives you more options for changing grips and stocks over the local once. Reason I went with MDT.

User

yes so true lol. I should have said one my wife wont divorce me over.

User

I have played around with a few rifles with chassis on the range and have guided one or two hunters with rifles so fitted. A chassis is a good choice for range work. If you hunt on foot, a chassis is not a good idea. For one thing they are heavy they are also slow to get set up on shooting sticks. If you consider shooting from a fixed position or from the back of a vehicle to be hunting, a chassis will work.

User

For your application I will look at the MDT XRS as they will be ideal for hunting and long range and there is current stock in SA (priced at around R12k).
    "Weighing in at 3.9lbs (depending on inlet), the XRS is ideal for both hunting or target rifles" - MDT

I use almost the same one (KRG Bravo) and fits the purpose, KRG is just not available easily in SA.

A nice thing also about MDT. Well at least on the HS3 is that they added panels on side. So you dont touch the ALU. But the panels. So although not important. It feels nicer then touching could Alu.

When I bought my HS3. It was before there was local dealer. So I had to bring in through Canada.

But its not cheaper route then buying from local.

As mentioned above. They do add weight. So walk and stalk becomes little more of an issue. Teh weight again adds to stability and gain in shooting more accurate.

On Youtube there is Precision Shooting which is local shooter Piet. Who also shoots with MDT. But you will see on his latest hunting video that he shoots from Tripod. And that he is not carrying it on a sling. But in hand. this mainly due to weight. But also adds to pointing your friends in field carrying this way.
    Shooting out of shoulder is not really possible with a Chasis. Unless you shoot quick.

User

To be honest a chassis that is good for long range shooting will not be ideal for hunting and a nice and light stock that is suited for hunting will not be ideal for long range shooting. Either way you go you will have to make compromises. When you say long range shooting, how far do you want to go? 1000m?

User

Have a look at the SCSA TSP X Chassis. I bought this for my Howa .308

I will use this for hunting and range, weight is light and cost was R7500

User

A single rifle that fulfills both roles? You know it won't be spectacularly good at either.

A Howa Hogue Sporter in .308Win weighs 5.35Lb. Add a Leupold 4-12x50 scope at 15Oz as well as rings and bases and you are looking at 6.3Lb.

The base weight of a howa short action 24" bull barrel barrelled action is 6.6Lb. Add a 4Lb chassis and 1.8Lb 5-25x56 scope and you are looking at 12.4Lb or just about double the weight of the normal sporter rifle. Anyone who tells you carrying a 12.4Lb rifle is the same as carrying a 6.3Lb rifle is lying to you. Carry such a heavy rifle for five or six days and you will start to hate it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast