User

Default Bullet selection

Hi guys I’m Alex I live in zululand and do quite a bit of hunting however I’m looking for some opinions on 2 topics one is bullet selection for my 30-06 and the other is a silencer for my 243, I’m looking for a lightweight compact silencer, any recommendations? Also attached is a image of my bullets I’ve tried left to right
    180gr nosler partition, next 4 are 165gr nosler accubonds and the last two are Barnes tsx 150gr they are all recovered from animals
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Default Re: Bullet selection

Hi Alex, a few questions:

- what do you hunt?
    - at which distances?
    - do you have any preferences (monolithic, cup-and-core etc?)

User

Alex, I personally would say all of them are perfect for hunting purposes.

Nosler partitions was the first commercial premium bullet yet still a excellent choice.

Between the lot, your first selection criteria should be accuracy.
    Based on the question and information provided - All of the mentioned bullets will perform excellent on any of the thin skinned game worldwide (Bullet weight and velocity being sensible)

Remember the weight of the bullet combined with a certain calibre combination will result in a band of developed velocities. The lighter bullets will develop higher muzzle velocities yet it wont necessarily result in higher impact velocities..the lighter bullets have lower sectional densities, resulting in lower balistic coefficients. Yes they are faster, also they do shed velocity quicker than their heavier counterparts.
    Personally I am not a speed freak and believe that a cup and core at 2400/2500 ft/s is enough to hunt within reasonable distances ( also ethical)
    If the Nosler partition group in your rifle, stick to them. They are excellent in 3006 / 180 range of velocities.

User

Nothing wrong with your bullet choices.
    Choose any of these and stick to it.
    Don't chop and change.

Banned

You could pretty much close this thread already, the above 3 posts leave little/nothing more to add.

User

I think that the long term availability of the bullet is the next important criterion. The above appear to all be more than adequate.