Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Issues & delays on part of DFO when re-licencing firearm

Hi All,

Three of my FA licences were close to expiry and so I prepared the forms and supporting documents for the 3x licence renewals (all of which are being done under s.16). These I submitted to the DFO on Wed, 5th August (now a little over 2 weeks ago). When submitting them, I checked with the DFO that all was in order with my renewals and she confirmed that this was the case.

Since I have, to date, still not heard anything from the DFO (and have not received the usual SMS containing the relevant reference numbers for these renewals), I have just called and spoken to the DFO. During this call, she admitted that:--

1) they are around 3 months behind with loading the renewals onto the system (and issuing the ref no's);
    2) when I asked her how long the renewal is likely to take, she said that it would take around 6-12 months!

FYI, the police station is Brooklyn, Pretoria.

Has anybody else experienced this and, if so, isn't the SAPS supposed to process licence applications and renewals within a 90 day period (which the SAPS has managed to unofficially change to a "90 working day" period)?

Surely the 90 day period is supposed to run from the date of submission of the licence application/renewal? Or has the SAPS managed to find yet another way to muck law-abiding gun owners around by taking absolute ages before loading the application/renewal onto the system?

Is there anything that I can do to ensure that my renewals are loaded onto the system without further delays (during which time there is a strong possibility that they lose the renewal applications and/or some/all of the supporting docs)???

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated!

User

Default Re: Issues & delays on part of DFO when re-licencing firearm

Similar experience.

Renewed in November 2019
    SMS stating it was successful Jan 2020
    License expired Mar 2020
    To date still no card.

After numerous calls to my dfo they just keep saying i must carry my renewal slip wherever I go.

My Brother on the hand

Renewed in FEB 2020
    Card collected in AUG 202

same DFO

So i might just apply for a reprint if my card is still not here by and of the month

LOL.

You really think they worried about the 90 day rule they even made.

As long as you have proof you handed in renewal. Example the Invoice you received also when making payment. I would not worry too much. As you have the firearm and can use it at least.

And you have proof of renewal in time with date on invoice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    LOL.

You really think they worried about the 90 day rule they even made.

As long as you have proof you handed in renewal. Example the Invoice you received also when making payment. I would not worry too much. As you have the firearm and can use it at least.

And you have proof of renewal in time with date on invoice.
    Fair enough. That said, will the average SAPS official know that carrying your receipt and the expired licence is ok (or will they deem the licence expired and then want to confiscate and "safeguard" the weapon).... hmmmmmm!

I'm not too confident about trying to explain this at a roadblock etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    Fair enough. That said, will the average SAPS official know that carrying your receipt and the expired licence is ok (or will they deem the licence expired and then want to confiscate and "safeguard" the weapon).... hmmmmmm!

That indeed might be a problem.

User

Print S24 of the act and keep that with it too?

User

Hi All,

Three of my FA licences were close to expiry and so I prepared the forms and supporting documents for the 3x licence renewals (all of which are being done under s.16). These I submitted to the DFO on Wed, 5th August (now a little over 2 weeks ago). When submitting them, I checked with the DFO that all was in order with my renewals and she confirmed that this was the case.

Since I have, to date, still not heard anything from the DFO (and have not received the usual SMS containing the relevant reference numbers for these renewals), I have just called and spoken to the DFO. During this call, she admitted that:--

1) they are around 3 months behind with loading the renewals onto the system (and issuing the ref no's);
    2) when I asked her how long the renewal is likely to take, she said that it would take around 6-12 months!

FYI, the police station is Brooklyn, Pretoria.

Has anybody else experienced this and, if so, isn't the SAPS supposed to process licence applications and renewals within a 90 day period (which the SAPS has managed to unofficially change to a "90 working day" period)?

Surely the 90 day period is supposed to run from the date of submission of the licence application/renewal? Or has the SAPS managed to find yet another way to muck law-abiding gun owners around by taking absolute ages before loading the application/renewal onto the system?

Is there anything that I can do to ensure that my renewals are loaded onto the system without further delays (during which time there is a strong possibility that they lose the renewal applications and/or some/all of the supporting docs)???

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated!
    S13 Renewal submitted 6 August 2019.
    Approved 12 May 2020.
    Still waiting for my card.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Just a question and a short hijacking of the thread. Not intended to take you on on your comment as it is a valid point and with "what if" scenarios with regards to firearms better safe than sorry are certainly better. Just something that I am wondering about especially after the recent months of roadblocks/Covid document check points.

How many of us has been stopped in a roadblock and asked for a firearm and its license in the previous 10 years?

A few weeks ago I was stopped at a huge roadblock. Asked to get out of the vehicle so that SAPS can check under the seats for firearms or other suspect goods. So I did, with my non-concealed pistol in its IWB holster. The whole vehicle was checked with me standing around and nobody even realised the gun was on me. Nobody asked, so I also did not tell.

Myself: Not and I do travel more than the average person. (80 000 - 100 000 km/year).

User

Renewed October last year.
    Approved 22 June
    Card collected start of August

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Just a question and a short hijacking of the thread. Not intended to take you on on your comment as it is a valid point and with "what if" scenarios with regards to firearms better safe than sorry are certainly better. Just something that I am wondering about especially after the recent months of roadblocks/Covid document check points.

How many of us has been stopped in a roadblock and asked for a firearm and its license in the previous 10 years?

A few weeks ago I was stopped at a huge roadblock. Asked to get out of the vehicle so that SAPS can check under the seats for firearms or other suspect goods. So I did, with my non-concealed pistol in its IWB holster. The whole vehicle was checked with me standing around and nobody even realised the gun was on me. Nobody asked, so I also did not tell.

Myself: Not and I do travel more than the average person. (80 000 - 100 000 km/year).
    That's an interesting one, bud. I do wonder what the SAPS official's reaction will be if they don't ask whether you are carrying a FA but then subsequently find one on you...

One could reasonably believe that if they don't ask you, you have no need to volunteer this info (but sadly I think that the police official won't see it that way)...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast