Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Looking at getting my first shotgun

I have two daughters about whom I have been told will grow up to be real heart breakers, and it has also been suggested by several people that it might be wise to purchase a shotgun I have considered that the only assurance I have they will make wise decisions is by being a perfect, respectful and loving father, and hope that they will have the sense to choose someone like me. I have also figured that if I teach them to shoot, they could probably sort out some of their problem creatures on their own. With that being said, and before I talk myself out of it, I am looking at getting a shot gun to use for guinea fowl, rockies and perhaps some clays as well. I am completely new to this shotgun thing, having only borrowed one on occasion, and never really paid much attention to what I was shooting with, so rather than buy twice, I'm hoping to rather get some good advice from you guys. I come from a rifle hunting background, if that helps to narrow the scope a bit (sorry bad pun).

I am not into the whole name dropping thing, and couldn't give two hoots if its a hand engraved H &H or its dipped in muddy pink camo, as long as its does what it was meant to do.

So where to start?

Is it worth buying second hand? Can you wear out a shot gun? Do they need a whole lot of 'tweaking' like a rifle to get them shooting right?

Is there a Howa equivalent in shotguns?

Can you get a bad one?

What are chokes? should I be bothered about them?

User

Default Re: Looking at getting my first shotgun

Do you have Dedicated status? Can you own a semi-auto?

User

Your simple query would,to answer in detail,fill a couple of thick books.

What is your budget?

You can get a decent used side by side for under 5K or a good used over and under for under 10K.
    My choice would be for an O/U single trigger with fixed chokes as a budget start gun and i would look for a good used one.
    30k will get you a new Beretta silver pigeon or Winchester with single trigger,multi chokes and ejectors.

An O/U has advantages over a S/S as well as being more 'accepted' on a clay range or the hunting field than a pump or semi auto.

Chokes are simply a restriction at the end of a shotgun barrel which either allow for a wider or more compact spread to your pellets depending on choke used.
    There is unfortunately no Howa rifle of the shotgun world.

User

Mossberg and remmington have reliable pump actions and shouldnt cost too much 2nd hand.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post

What is your budget?

You can get a decent used side by side for under 5K or a good used over and under for under 10K.
    My choice would be for an O/U single trigger with fixed chokes as a budget start gun and i would look for a good used one.
    30k will get you a new Beretta silver pigeon or Winchester with single trigger,multi chokes and ejectors.

An O/U has advantages over a S/S as well as being more 'accepted' on a clay range or the hunting field than a pump or semi auto.

Chokes are simply a restriction at the end of a shotgun barrel which either allow for a wider or more compact spread to your pellets depending on choke used.
    Thanks, that's a good start. So then I'm looking for a 12g over and under for around 8k. That should narrow it down a bit.

Although I'd love to the look at future boyfriends face when they walk in and see you cleaning a full auto shotie complete with rotary magazine.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post

What is your budget?

This about sums it up. For recreational clay and wing shooting an O/U with fixed chokes is all you need.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

You should check out lucky gunner �� on YouTube, he has some great shotgun content.

Banned

If you listen to Pre64 in this regard you will likely skip learning curve A-Y and only need to consider whether its Z or z.
    I suggest you PM him and get a cell number - he really knows his shit beyond back and forth posting.

A/Grain, phone the man and you will be on a different level of input, shot gunners are not talkers or showers, funny fuckers actually.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    If you listen to Pre64 in this regard you will likely skip learning curve A-Y and only need to consider whether its Z or z.
    I suggest you PM him and get a cell number - he really knows his shit beyond back and forth posting.

A/Grain, phone the man and you will be on a different level of input, shot gunners are not talkers or showers, funny fuckers actually.
    You make me laugh. My wife is from an Italian family of wing shooters. I noticed that their level of competence is inversely proportional to the size of the picnic basket they bring with them, and trust me, they would make a buffet at a 5 star hotel look stingy in comparison. They spend north of 50K on their guns, so I am not even going to ask them, for them a Baretta silver pigeon is considered entry level at 40k from S&O.

Accept for keeping the Boyfriend away. Do you plan to hunt with it or shoot Claypigeon with it.

As for hunting and Claypigeon the preferred choice is O\U and with chokes.

Chokes you need as it helps keep shot together at various distances. For Skeet shooting you want shot to spread quickly as your shooting close. So you want open barrel. For Trap the clay is moving away so you want shot not to spread to quick so you want a tight choke.

Also in O/U and claypigeon. Its not just about buying any O'u. Its critical the shotgun fits you correct. If it does not. Forget about hitting clays consistent.

Then again if your only buying for defence and possibly shooting a steel challenge or plates sometime. Then a Pump action is more the correct one.

Semi is nice. But this weekend again I saw a guy struggling on Clay range with feeding issues. As there was some dirt inside causing issues. Also besides this. Unless your going full competition where needed. The pump will work for self defence and less application hassles.

I compete in Claypigeon. And recently bought a 2nd hand Browning Pump Action. To take on some other disciplines

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast