Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Winchester ranger ts 147gr in g43

Good day guys.

My wife will be picking up her g43 next week and i wanted to also get her the above mentioned ammo, as that works well for me. Now i know she needs to test them and all that, but what i want to find out is if this ammo is a good starting point for the g43. I dont have a massive budget to try any other brands etc. So i whas hoping someone could tell me if these should be ok to start with. Anyone use these in their g43? Like i said i know she will still need to test them.

Thanks gents.

Default Re: Winchester ranger ts 147gr in g43

I discovered Paul Harrell on Youtube. Find his videos interesting to watch.

May I suggest you watch these first.
    As in it he explains some points to consider most overlook.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
    Good day guys.

My wife will be picking up her g43 next week and i wanted to also get her the above mentioned ammo, as that works well for me. Now i know she needs to test them and all that, but what i want to find out is if this ammo is a good starting point for the g43. I dont have a massive budget to try any other brands etc. So i whas hoping someone could tell me if these should be ok to start with. Anyone use these in their g43? Like i said i know she will still need to test them.

Thanks gents.
    Hi Eraser.

I appears 147 grain jacketed hollow points are a good idea for short barrels as they need less velocity to expand. It appears that the 147 grain Ranger T series does well in ballistic testing, meeting the FBI's standard. Check out Lucky gunners data here:
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...tic-tests/#9mm

The Winchester 147 grain T series is almost at the bottom of the 9mm table as it is arranged in alphabetical order.

Something like Speer's 124 grain Gold dot for short barrels or Federal HST 150 grain micro also seem to work well out of shorter barrels. I just don't know how easily jou will find them here in SA.

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

User

Buy the Rangers, function test them, carry them.

User

The 147gr Ranger T's function optimally in firearms with shorter barrels both in terms of recoil as well as penetration and expansion, the inverse is true for the 127gr +p+. I use the 147gr Ranger T's in my 43, saying that you still need to function test it in your wife's own firearm to ensure the function reliably! The better question will be can you find 147gr Rangers at the moment...

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I discovered Paul Harrell on Youtube. Find his videos interesting to watch.

May I suggest you watch these first.
    As in it he explains some points to consider most overlook.

I don't really regard Paul Harrell as a source of reliable and accurate information!

Quote Originally Posted by MFouche94 View Post
    Hi Eraser.

I appears 147 grain jacketed hollow points are a good idea for short barrels as they need less velocity to expand. It appears that the 147 grain Ranger T series does well in ballistic testing, meeting the FBI's standard. Check out Lucky gunners data here:
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...tic-tests/#9mm

The Winchester 147 grain T series is almost at the bottom of the 9mm table as it is arranged in alphabetical order.

Something like Speer's 124 grain Gold dot for short barrels or Federal HST 150 grain micro also seem to work well out of shorter barrels. I just don't know how easily jou will find them here in SA.

Lucky Gunner is a much more reliable source of information with consistent testing! Saying that our choice in SA is very limited as to what JHP's get brought in by the importers! HST and Gold Dots are the gold standard in the US but we hardly ever see these in SA!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    I don't really regard Paul Harrell as a source of reliable and accurate information!

Lucky Gunner is a much more reliable source of information with consistent testing! Saying that our choice in SA is very limited as to what JHP's get brought in by the importers! HST and Gold Dots are the gold standard in the US but we hardly ever see these in SA!
    Yes. Paul Harrell's videos are very entertaining, but repeatable and validated data matters when selecting SD ammo. Lucky gunner is a great source and they have tested a wide range of ammunition for various cartridges.

I've seen another gel test of the 147 grain t series on YouTube out of various barrel lengths and it also appeared to do well.

To the OP: I don't know whether you have considered it or not but, I would personally not recommend the 127 grain +p+ ranger t series for a G43. They are designed for longer barrels and will most likely not function as designed due to the reduced velocity.

I carry them in my Glock 43, they function reliably. There is a photo of a recovered bullet at the link below.

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?65032-Bullet-performance-data-base&p=1382030&viewfull=1#post1382030

I currently have Hornady Critical Defence Lite in my CZ P01. You cant tell the difference between shooting them and FMJ's loaded standard.

According to Hornady. Designed with lower recoil in mind and shorter barrel carry firearms.

I bought them at a time when shops were mostly out of stock on anything else. After shooting the first couple. They became my current carry rounds.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Exactly what my wife carries in her G43 and also what I self carry in my G19. They work reliably from her G43. It is not the correct answer, but I am of opinion that if she test maybe 25 rounds and they are working it should be fine. we have not found any ammo that will not be gobbled up by her G43.

I don't like +P or +P+ ammo. Slow and heavy are more to my personal preference with regards to accuracy etc with my firearms and grip strength. My wife also find +P ammo too snappy from her G43 for her liking and we always use the same ammo in our SD firearms so that we know we can help each other out with ammo should it ever be needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast