Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Scope for my Marlin lever gun

Hi all,

I'd like to put a scope on my Marlin 357.
    Can someone please share the mounting options with me?
    Holes are already available for either scope rings or a rail to fit a scope on.

Which way?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Scope for my Marlin lever gun

Depends what you want to use it for.

A red dot may be a better option.

Bushveld / Bushpig gun.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

Banned

Which model do you have, and what do you want to do with it?
    It seems that one can mount almost every tipe on the Marlins:

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/resou...ope-base-chart

For short range, speed work like bush pigs, a red dot sight might be useful. For regular bushveld hunting, a 4x or 6x telescope, or a 2-6x25 might prove a handy answer.

User

Sorry, forgot to mention 1894 model.

The red dot might be the answer. I would like to use is on short range close shots.

I'll post a pic tonight.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Hi DeViliers. I have a 1894 in .44 Magnum. Get a Picatiny rail (got mine years back from Importitall, not sure with new importing regulations etc if they still have, but search the web, should be able to find one), and then you can mount anything on it. I have a 1-4 x 25 Burris scope on mine. Works perfectly for me. Hunting bushpig in mealies and Impala and warthog out to max about 80 meters. Just check when mounting a picatinny or any other base for rings; some (most) 1894's have a small "bump" right at the rear of the rifle. You will see it easily. But it is a very slight protrusion. A base or rail then will not fit flat to the rifle. There might be 0,15 - 0,2 mm gap then to the rear. If this happens the base or rail move around and accuracy go down the drain. Just mark the area on the bottom of the base or rail where it will be at the rear on rear and take away some metal with a file until you are certain it fits flat and don't "ride" on the slight higher part.

Also check that with whatever scope you use that you can still manipulate the hammer or get a hammer extension as well.

User

Take a look at the new Delta Hornet 1-6x24. I have read good reviews on it out of the US and have one on order myself.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Hi DeViliers. I have a 1894 in .44 Magnum. Get a Picatiny rail (got mine years back from Importitall, not sure with new importing regulations etc if they still have, but search the web, should be able to find one), and then you can mount anything on it. I have a 1-4 x 25 Burris scope on mine. Works perfectly for me. Hunting bushpig in mealies and Impala and warthog out to max about 80 meters. Just check when mounting a picatinny or any other base for rings; some (most) 1894's have a small "bump" right at the rear of the rifle. You will see it easily. But it is a very slight protrusion. A base or rail then will not fit flat to the rifle. There might be 0,15 - 0,2 mm gap then to the rear. If this happens the base or rail move around and accuracy go down the drain. Just mark the area on the bottom of the base or rail where it will be at the rear on rear and take away some metal with a file until you are certain it fits flat and don't "ride" on the slight higher part.

Also check that with whatever scope you use that you can still manipulate the hammer or get a hammer extension as well.
    Thanks

Took my Marlin 44m out today.

I previously polished all internals and use Wurth HHS2000 on bolt is incredibly smooth. Changed trigger sometime back.

I fitted Skinner Sights on my Marlin. Look into them before going scope route. They are very fast to shoot with. And easy to aim and shoot good.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Took my Marlin 44m out today.

I previously polished all internals and use Wurth HHS2000 on bolt is incredibly smooth. Changed trigger sometime back.

I fitted Skinner Sights on my Marlin. Look into them before going scope route. They are very fast to shoot with. And easy to aim and shoot good.
    I like it. Which sights did you go with? Care to share a pic?
    Dit you change both front and rear sights?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DeVilliers View Post
    Sorry, forgot to mention 1894 model.

The red dot might be the answer. I would like to use is on short range close shots.

I'll post a pic tonight.

I think you already have the answer figured out.

If it were mine, I would mount a 3MOA Reflex sight as low as possible. If the target's vitals are smaller than the dot, don't shoot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast