Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Magnum magazine

User

Default Re: Magnum magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    VERY sad
    It means that you will never know -- when -- YOU have become the "bait" ....
    Some people read books in order to understand what is going on around them ( who is "fishing" )

The downfall of printed media is a sad phenomenon which may bite us in our collective arses one day: the books and magazines work pretty nicely without electricity and the Internet connection.

When I had the chance to read a bunch of Magnum magazines from 1990s and early 2000s I found it to be one of the most honest to the facts publications, the US magazines seem like they were almost 100% advertisements lacking the critical view in an obvious fear of lawsuits.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post

The downfall of printed media is a sad phenomenon which may bite us in our collective arses one day: the books and magazines work pretty nicely without electricity and the Internet connection.

When I had the chance to read a bunch of Magnum magazines from 1990s and early 2000s I found it to be one of the most honest to the facts publications, the US magazines seem like they were almost 100% advertisements lacking the critical view in an obvious fear of lawsuits.
    True that ^^^

The perception I have, and that is obviously influenced by all the other stuff I can read, is that Magnum's standards have dropped quite a bit since the new team (New owners, new editor, new writers) took it over.

I have seen similar changes in other gun publications. This may appeal to a wider audience, like for example a bunch of noobs, but not to me.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    True that ^^^

The perception I have, and that is obviously influenced by all the other stuff I can read, is that Magnum's standards have dropped quite a bit since the new team (New owners, new editor, new writers) took it over.

I have seen similar changes in other gun publications. This may appeal to a wider audience, like for example a bunch of noobs, but not to me.
    Luckilly opinions are generally subjective. I really like the more recent format of Magnum, compared to say 5-7 years ago. I really like that handgun articles are written by local guys (admittedly, some do it better than others), as I could generally recite beforehand what the US contributor would write (adding a detailed description of the Browning tilting-barrel mechanism to every article nicely bumps the word count...)

Be as it may, each to his own, I like reading the Magnum more than I like reading the SAHunter, although I (am supposed to) get both. But the local media landscape would be way poorer without them. I spend my days in front of a computer, and I like picking up something physical to read, just to get away from a screen for a change.

User

Thanks for all who responded. I understand the reasons, but sought some alternate reading material in the interim. I have used this time to go through early copies of Man/Magnum and have regularly had to wipe a proverbial tear from my eyes. This was due to the pics and articles of some beautiful, desirable firearms, but more often from advertised prices of items in the 70's and 80's. A couple of "fun" things I noted. The centre-spread with a bikini clad female (cigarette in mouth). The condescending responses to letters from contributors whenever a Brazilian or Spanish pistol was discussed. Adverts for condoms (sies, skande). Alternate articles (clothes, CB radios, motor bikes, flying.....). And then there was the absolute disdain shown to any handgun calibre less than 9mmp/38spl. Finally, the changes: from steel and alloy to tupperware, wood to composites and carbon, leather to kydex, SA to DA/DAO/pre-cocked etc., the phenomenal developments in optics, the new manufacturer names from countries we would never have bought firearms from years ago, "Combat Shooting" basic 1911's to IPSC race-guns. Two things that seem to have remained pretty much the same - The ethics and thrill of the hunt and the beauty of a good knife (mass produced or hand crafted). And Robin Barkes just keeps on entertaining in his inimitable style. LONG LIVE MAGNUM.

User

Good Morning all

Is there anyone out there still interested in Magnum magazine, I have a collection dating back to the early 90's that I no longer have space for, .....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
    Good Morning all

Is there anyone out there still interested in Magnum magazine, I have a collection dating back to the early 90's that I no longer have space for, .....
    I would be happy to preserve them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2