Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magnum magazine

User

Default Magnum magazine

From their website:
    MAGNUM MAGAZINE

With effect from our next edition, Magnum will be published eight times a year. The next issue (September/October 2020) will be on sale from the 18th September. We hope to offer additional stand-alone publications in some of the in-between months when your magazine is not published, and to provide enhanced online content.

No reason given. I will be looking for other reading matter. What do you read and why??

User

Quote Originally Posted by pcc View Post
    From their website:
    MAGNUM MAGAZINE

With effect from our next edition, Magnum will be published eight times a year. The next issue (September/October 2020) will be on sale from the 18th September. We hope to offer additional stand-alone publications in some of the in-between months when your magazine is not published, and to provide enhanced online content.

No reason given. I will be looking for other reading matter. What do you read and why??

Not Magnum's fault. Media24 has had a serious downturn with Covid, and has closed down a number of publications, while others (I know of SAJagter, Magnum and Tuis) has been reduced to 8 issues per year.

The best way to ensure we receive the type & quality of content is to keep on supporting these publications.

Default Re: Magnum magazine

I wont kick magnum to the curb because Media 24 has run into struggles. Its a great mag. I will continue to look forward to my 8 issues a year. Complete Flyfsherman is also consolidating issues. I can tell you this, living in Canada, the quality of SA hook and bullet magazines is very high. In fact, I generally prefer them to most North American mags.

User

Quote Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
    I wont kick magnum to the curb because Media 24 has run into struggles. Its a great mag. I will continue to look forward to my 8 issues a year. Complete Flyfsherman is also consolidating issues. I can tell you this, living in Canada, the quality of SA hook and bullet magazines is very high. In fact, I generally prefer them to most North American mags.
    I stopped buying TCFF when their articles effectively became advertisements for one of the major fly fishing shops. They lost their credibility and independence. It was a pity as previously I enjoyed reading it.

In times of financial distress, magazines are a luxury item and one of the first items that people stop buying. It’s understandable for MM to reduce the number of
    issues a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I have been reading Magnum since the late seventies. Almost never missed an issue. A friend lent me the earlier editions, from no. 1, so I could catch up those I had missed. From the early 80's I was a subscriber and only cancelled my subscription when the SA Post Office became an inefficient dump for lame, sick and terminally ill party cadres and delivery times went from days to weeks and months. From then onward I religiously bought it every month at one of the many local stocking shops.

Then just before the dreaded lockdown, Media24 (who's policies I have no love for) decided to package Magnum together with SA Hunter (official mouthpiece of SAHGCA) and force me to buy both at no discount. I may mention that I have no love for SAHGCA either, since they tried to throw other FA owners under the bus on more than one occasion in their dealings with CFR and definitely do not want to buy any of their publications. (Their 2009 interim court order partially redeemed them, but that issue is likely to be referred back to court soon, so that one positive may not last.) I may support their local branches occasionally, but definitely not their national executive.

It would seem that the standard of articles in Magnum has also dropped significantly and tests of any guns or accessories sounds more like paid advertising than anything else. US contributor Paul Scarlata is the sole exception, but I guess his articles will be edited (dumbed?) down in future too.

So during the months of the corruption HQ lockdown I did not even miss not getting my monthly copy of Magnum. I guess I can go without it now. Maybe a little sad, but life needs to go on and I want to enjoy my precious few minutes I can spend on reading matter, and I also want to learn something new from it.

I guess I may not be all alone in my view of the matter.

On Target magazine has also suffered a similar fate.
    Something to do with the distributors going out of business during the Covid 19 Lockdown.
    Both are no longer available at CNA.
    Magnum, On Target and African Hunting are however available in digital form on ZINIO.
    It is just not the same though as reading them 'in print' whilst drinking my morning cup of coffee.

User

Slightly off topic but has anyone been able to purchase foreign published magazines from CNA or Exclusive Books? The Centurion CNA has not had any for months now, and I am really missing my British motorcycle and modelling magazines.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulnb View Post
    Slightly off topic but has anyone been able to purchase foreign published magazines from CNA or Exclusive Books? The Centurion CNA has not had any for months now, and I am really missing my British motorcycle and modelling magazines.
    Some CNA's are closing down

User

There was a time when I would buy a lot of magazines, my brother also bought magnum religiously for a couple of decades.
    But bullets are bullets, powder is powder and we’ve been shooting the same smokeless rounds for the last century, very little is left unsaid.
    So whenever a new product was reviewed the sole outcome of the review would be “we strongly recommend it”, why, because our magazine guys would not go out and buy a product to review, they would be borrowed one to review.

Hunting, nothing can be said about it, we know what we hunt, how to hunt it and what is needed for it, been doing it for hundreds of years. I remember a while back magnum being caught up in nostalgic hunting stories, haven’t read it in a long time so dunno if it has changed in any way.

Fact of the matter is, these days I will do research on the web, a book created each month for revenue purposes only cannot do that, never will, and hence I don’t buy books anymore. If I need time to relax (what some people use books for) I will go for a walk in the veld or sit next to water waiting for fish to bite.

Banned

Exclamation Re: Magnum magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    T
    and hence I don’t buy books anymore.
    If I need time to relax (what some people use books for) I will go for a walk in the veld or sit next to water waiting for fish to bite.
    VERY sad
    It means that you will never know -- when -- YOU have become the "bait" ....
    Some people read books in order to understand what is going on around them ( who is "fishing" )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast