Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Firearms you did not buy and now regret.

I have two regrets, not buying Pre64's 375 Mag, it was the sweetestest, most built for me rifle I ever handled. When I shot it I knew it was actually meant for me. Unfortunately I already had two rifles and 3 was too many.
    Pre 64's 375 is a regret, but a small one.

I had a 223 Musgrave and a small budget back in 95, I used the .223 for everything and never lost one kudu with it. (I could not afford Kudu back then, but I often hunted for others)

I had an old customer that had taken a liking to this young man, a wealthy live on the side of the cliff face house kind of retired person, he learnt one day that he's allotted years had come to pass and he started settling his affairs. In our chats he mentioned selling the house and cars, also a big boat and his rifle.
    Not being in the market for a rifle but so interested I asked about it and ventured that I would really like to see his rifle. (Just cleaning someone’s rifle was still a thrill back then).
    He brought it out and I was rather disappointed, it had one of those old 8 sided barrels, (young folk do not really value old things), the wood was dark and it had some crappy German name on it, was not even a real gun, Colt, Winchester or Remington.

I was rather embarrassed in regard to not liking it, because the old man was so soooooooooooooooooooo over it. I asked for interest sake how much it was worth and he replied, that it likely had some special value (read on), but for him it was his brothers then his fathers and his fathers, perhaps one further back as well.
    I could have it for R3500, but to me as mine only - not as a general sale to anyone. He mentioned he thought I would make a good curator for it.
    He then told me its story.
    Please! It was nearly 30 years ago, but I will try be as accurate as can be.
    His father x 3/4 back was in government or parliament, but basically mayor for some small dorp and one of the ministers wanted a special rifle built by some special gunsmith, but costs and conditions were prohibitive. As I said, the exact figures are lost to me, but the build would only happen if there was a set ordered, or a set was ordered and needed 4 buyers. The story goes that after a long time of searching for a 4rth buyer his father x a few back was convinced to buy rifle #4 of the set. (It had plate on it with some details that I forget, "another thing I did not like")
    So the rifles were owned by #1 Premier or minister whatever of the Freestate/Natal whatever and then to "lids: members had #2 and #3 and then the rifle in front of me was # 4. A 7x57 Oct-angle barrelled Oberndorf-Mauser by his great great father.
    I believe version of my story 80% correct, his?

I just did not know or appreciate what it was or could be.

Equivalent of 4 months’ bond repayments, I said I would get back to him, and hoped he would forget about me.
    Old man died and I could not trace rifle again.

F***** It

User

Default Re: Firearms you did not buy and now regret.

There was a MP5 one year at the Classic Arms sale, unfortunately it went for close to R50k and that was around 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bundu Ric View Post
    There was a MP5 one year at the Classic Arms sale, unfortunately it went for close to R50k and that was around 8 years ago.
    The MP5k if I remember and a proper one at that.

User

Anschutz 22 hornet with an old zeiss scope for 3.5k a few years ago. I still kick myself. It was mint condition. Went back a hour later and was sold.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    The MP5k if I remember and a proper one at that.
    Correct, it was the real deal and not one of the knock offs that came in a few years later.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Anschutz 22 hornet with an old zeiss scope for 3.5k a few years ago. I still kick myself. It was mint condition. Went back a hour later and was sold.
    If you can the arrange the meeting, I will kick you for you, "mala" .

Banned

There was an M&P9 for sale some months ago, here on the forum.

Snapped up by someone before I could scratch the money together.

I think I would have been willing to let go (most of ?) my other handguns to have a set of M&P9's.

But yes, I have the full trust that one day, another one will come my way.

User

Two years ago safari and outdoor had one ruger 10/22 on special. Brand new for R4500. I made the mistake of first thinking about it. Was sold the next day. Same thing happened with a ruger gp100 advertised on gunsite about a year ago.

User

In 1995 a buddy of mine wanted to sell his silver Desert Eagle (mint condition still in case) for R2,000 to me. 18 months before I got my Browning HP and could just not see the sense of having 2 handguns and passed up on the deal.

User

I should have bought this without thinking about it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast