Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Firearms you did not buy and now regret.

An original H&H double in .300 for R5000 in 1981.
    Thats what a new Mercedes Benz cost then.

Something else of interest was my great grandfathers twin LMG08/15 Spandau aircraft machine guns he brought back from the First World War as a trophy. What I would give today for them. He got the DFC and bar for his services to the Crown. All he wanted to do was come back to SA and manage his farm. My distant memories as a child running my grubby paws over those finely crafted machine guns will stay with me forever.

User

Not as much of a "regret for not buying" but a regret for selling.

I inherited a Shultz & Larsen 7x61 S&H from my grandfather.
    It was the prettiest thing you had even seen. It had an action that was smoother than silk, an extra length barrel and a stock that was made by the finest craftsmen. The grip and fore end had slight bulges in them for additional comfort. It truly was a sight to behold.

When I got it, I was a 19 year old student who could afford to pay attention let alone feed a 7x61. In the early 90's you could only find Norma ammo for it and a box was R700. I sold it to a local gunsmith, and was able to put down a deposit on a car.

I have HUGE REGRET now and tracked down the gunsmith, who has subsequently immigrated.
    We had a great chat about the rifle, which he still has and has no intention of ever letting go .
    At least, its in a loving home!!!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Samizat45 View Post
    In 1984 and flush with danger pay:

44 Automag - R1200 with dies and some converted cases in a small shop in Kathu IIRC of all places.
    Off-topic: That must have been Kalahari Vuurwapens (not to be confused with Kalahari Arms), run by the late Ben Fourie (gunsmith). He was an electrical foreman at the mine and ran his shop after hours (5-8 pm and Saturday mornings). I grew up in Kathu and knew Ben (bought my hunting rifle from him). He also sold my (late) dad a CZ75 Compact when they first came out, the frame says "Made in Czechoslovakia". Something like 9 months later (after release of Compact), Czechoslovakia stopped existing and the inscription changed to "Made in Czech Republic". So probably somewhat of a collectors item.

My wife now competes with that Compact!

User

Not really a collectors item. Pretty much all the CZs made before that are stamped the same way.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zs6hdv View Post
    Off-topic: That must have been Kalahari Vuurwapens (not to be confused with Kalahari Arms), run by the late Ben Fourie (gunsmith). He was an electrical foreman at the mine and ran his shop after hours (5-8 pm and Saturday mornings). I grew up in Kathu and knew Ben (bought my hunting rifle from him). He also sold my (late) dad a CZ75 Compact when they first came out, the frame says "Made in Czechoslovakia". Something like 9 months later (after release of Compact), Czechoslovakia stopped existing and the inscription changed to "Made in Czech Republic". So probably somewhat of a collectors item.

My wife now competes with that Compact!
    zs6hdv,

I was stationed at Lohatla at that stage so Kalahari Vuurwapens and a small gunshop in Postmasburg were regularly visited.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Samizat45 View Post
    zs6hdv,

I was stationed at Lohatla at that stage so Kalahari Vuurwapens and a small gunshop in Postmasburg were regularly visited.
    Lohatla !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was also there Sweepslag 1 - 2.

I so need to go see it again.

User

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsieEC View Post
    Not as much of a "regret for not buying" but a regret for selling.I inherited a Shultz & Larsen 7x61 S&H from my grandfather.It was the prettiest thing you had even seen. It had an action that was smoother than silk, an extra length barrel and a stock that was made by the finest craftsmen. The grip and fore end had slight bulges in them for additional comfort. It truly was a sight to behold.When I got it, I was a 19 year old student who could afford to pay attention let alone feed a 7x61. In the early 90's you could only find Norma ammo for it and a box was R700. I sold it to a local gunsmith, and was able to put down a deposit on a car.I have HUGE REGRET now and tracked down the gunsmith, who has subsequently immigrated.We had a great chat about the rifle, which he still has and has no intention of ever letting go .At least, its in a loving home!!!
    I know a PE gunsmith that closed down about 10 years ago I think. Sold my mate the exact brand and caliber rifle you are talking about.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    I know a PE gunsmith that closed down about 10 years ago I think. Sold my mate the exact brand and caliber rifle you are talking about.
    Neil - he had two.
    He bought mine for his son and still has it.

Does your mate still have his?
    What are his comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsieEC View Post
    Neil - he had two.
    He bought mine for his son and still has it.
    Mr Seady - I hunt next to the family farm.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast