I posted this in another link.
I had an old customer that had taken a liking to this young man, a wealthy live on the side of the cliff face house kind of retired person, he learnt one day that he's allotted years had come to pass and he started settling his affairs. In our chats he mentioned selling the house and cars, also a big boat and his rifle.
Not being in the market for a rifle but so interested I asked about it and ventured that I would really like to see his rifle. (Just cleaning someone’s rifle was still a thrill back then).
He brought it out and I was rather disappointed, it had one of those old 8 sided barrels, (young folk do not really value old things), the wood was dark and it had some crappy German name on it, was not even a real gun, Colt, Winchester or Remington.

I was rather embarrassed in regard to not liking it, because the old man was so soooooooooooooooooooo over it. I asked for interest sake how much it was worth and he replied, that it likely had some special value (read on), but for him it was his brothers then his fathers and his fathers, perhaps one further back as well.
I could have it for R3500, but to me as mine only - not as a general sale to anyone. He mentioned he thought I would make a good curator for it.
He then told me its story.
Please! It was nearly 30 years ago, but I will try be as accurate as can be.
His father x 3/4 back was in government or parliament, but basically mayor for some small dorp and one of the ministers wanted a special rifle built by some special gunsmith, but costs and conditions were prohibitive. As I said, the exact figures are lost to me, but the build would only happen if there was a set ordered, or a set was ordered and needed 4 buyers. The story goes that after a long time of searching for a 4rth buyer his father x a few back was convinced to buy rifle #4 of the set. (It had plate on it with some details that I forget, "another thing I did not like")
So the rifles were owned by #1 Premier or minister whatever of the Freestate/Natal whatever and then to "lids: members had #2 and #3 and then the rifle in front of me was # 4. A 7x57 Oct-angle barrelled Oberndorf-Mauser by his great great father.
I believe version of my story 80% correct, his?

I just did not know or appreciate what it was or could be.

Equivalent of 4 months’ bond repayments, I said I would get back to him, and hoped he would forget about me.
Old man died and I could not trace rifle again.

F***** It

Years later I still wonder about this rifle.