Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: First time EDC buyer... What to choose??

No point in looking at .45 as there is no difference in performance between decent 9mm and .45 SD ammo. The added capacity in a 9mm pistol is a massive benefit.
    Narrow it down to CZ and GLOCK. I personally carry a GLOCK 19 Gen 5. Carry it all day everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by shauncraill View Post
    Another GREAT gun is the CZ P10 range
    Also striker fired like the Glocks

Recently I have been playing with P10c what a lovely gun!

\
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Murray View Post
    What do you carry, if i may ask? I feel that the G21 may be abit big from what i have seen?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    I carry a G19 Gen 4. I'm not familiar with the G21 so wouldn't want to give any advice regarding that.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shauncraill View Post
    My biggest piece of advice is make sure it fits your hand, saying that, you need to be able to reach all the controls (Mag eject; slide stop/ slide release; trigger) without having to move or adjust your master grip.

Even if you can do it great with 2 hands... but you need to be able to get to all the controls.

Reliability has been said, I am a CZ man, P07 worked for my hand

Telling prospective firearm owners to choose a gun that fits their hand is some of the worst advice one can give them! Reason being they have no idea how to properly hold a firearm and what is a poor or good grip hence the gun feeling uncomfortable could be due to a poor grip! This article explains it properly:
    https://paratus.info/2017/12/15/comfortable-guns/

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Murray View Post
    Hi all

I am looking at getting myself my first handgun with will primarily be used as a EDC on the farm, home defense and when hunting.
    I have around R10K to spend and im quite intrested in a 9mm or.45acp but im not to sure what to look at. I stay quite far away from a gunshop which makes it tricky to go check some out.

I've looked at CZ, glock and S&W. Are there any other good ones that i should look at? Im not much of a glock fan boy, and have my eye on the S&W.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jason
    Forget about 45 ACP, there is a reason why the majority of all police forces and people who EDC choose 9mmP. Modern 9mmP JHP's have better terminal ballistic performance, allows for a greater capacity (I'd imagine this would be a big factor when staying on a farm) as well as range ammo is substantially cheaper hence allowing you to train and practice more, it will also be more commonly available since you aren't staying in a big city.

There is a reason the majority of people in SA have gone with CZ and Glock, for your first (self defense) firearm go with a brand which has loads of spares, aftermarket support and accessories as well as additional magazines can easily be bought for a reasonable price for the two aforementioned brands. I would argue IMO that striker fired handguns are the way forward in the 21st century! When choosing a firearm I'd advise choosing something which you can conceal and carry everyday, most people love shooting big full sized handguns but can't fully conceal (atleast not as well as they think they can) a full size firearm e.g. Glock 17 or CZ P10F/P09! The firearm on you is better than the one in the safe because it is too cumbersome, saying that holster choice and a rigid dedicated firearm belt play an equal important role in concealment!

This article also makes for an informative read: https://paratus.info/2017/11/14/3194/

User

Ok so you want to carry it, you need to conceal it, you want capacity, you want availability of parts and ammo and after sales service.

As boring as it might sound

Glock 19

User

Default First time EDC buyer... What to choose??

Apologies for the hijack.

9mmP is cheaper to run than a .45ACP, less training required to manage recoil. Parts cheaper etc.

If your shot placement is kak in any caliber it would make no difference.

If I was on a farm, I’d carry my G21 loaded with either the 230gr HST or 230gr Gold Dots.

While, 9mmP performance ballistics has increased over the years, the same new designs is used in the .45.

For a first time user go 9mmP. But why keep knocking the .45, especially in a modern firearm? Winner of two World Wars!

I’m not advocating bigger is better. But it would seem opinions are posted by shooters with no experience in owning/shooting other calibers extensively.

The below HST expansion through gelatin.

The below is a 200gr factory loaded Gold Dot in 10MM. Penetration was 16”.

User

Nobody was ‘knocking’ the .45.

Everybody was giving the same advice as you for a first time buyer.

Don’t assume others have no experience of other calibers based on the posts in this thread, you are wrong.

User

Some posts mention the ballistics of the two calibers are almost the same due to newer bullet designs.

The 9mmP and .45 do not have the same terminal ballistics.

User

Default First time EDC buyer... What to choose??

All handgun calibers are crappy man stoppers.

Get a quality 9mmP, mags, ammo, and lots training. Multiple shots on target.

That’s what I’m gonna do when my Competency gets approved!

Added a smily face. Monday morning blues....and all.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast