User

Question Vortex scope choices?

I would like to ask some advise on the following two options of Vortex scopes to fit on top of a Howa 20" 308 rifle that will be mainly used for bushveld hunting and some range work out to 3/400 meters. The aim of this built is to get the rifle as light and compact as possible, without sacrificing on quality.

1. https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-stri...iflescope.html
    2. https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-vipe...ex_reticle=978

• Does anyone have experience with either of these scopes, and any pro's con's to keep in mind?
    • Is an illuminated reticle a nice to have or must have?
    • Holdover vs quick dial turret? (although I suppose both can be used with holdover)
    • Is 3x vs 4x minimum magnification a big deal?
    • BDC reticle vs the EBR-4 for hunting? (I like the clean & simple looks of the BDC, but am used to the EBR-2 from the PST)

Some more background, the rifle is currently fitted with a PST Gen2 5-25x50 FFP scope. I have used it for hunting, but it is most definitely not the easiest option at shorter distances and lower magnification due to the first focal plane reticle. With this in mind I plan to move the PST to my 6.5 Creedmoor once the license is approved and make that a dedicated long range target rifle and use the 308 as my main hunting rifle.

I have considered various options from other brands, but keep coming back to Vortex, hence why I only added these to options. I am a bit of a fanboy, so not interested in other brands currently.

Thank you in advance.

User

Default Re: Vortex scope choices?

I have a 4-16x50 HS with BDC reticle. Have hunted quite a bit with on a 243 and 308. Friend used it for a while on a 7mmRem Mag as well. I've shot gongs out to 700m with it.

To me, 4x is low enough for short distance (50m) thick bush hunting and the 16x is big enough for a decent day at the range.

Glass is OK, not as good as PST Gen 2.

BDC reticle works well for hunting, but you need to stick to certain magnifications to make proper use of the reticle . I normally used it on 12x on 243 when hunting/shooting springbok and 10x on 308 for hunting open areas.

Strike Eagle seems like a good fit between Viper HS and PST. Have only looked through a few, not used for any shooting.

For a 308 rifle used primarily for hunting, I would probably go with HS as the bdc is "cleaner" than the EBR-4.

On my rifle, 200m zero gives me 280m on first dash at 10x magnification(confirmed on range). That more than covers wat I'm comfortable with shooting under field conditions.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User

I would't buy the EBR-4 reticle for hunting and 300/400m shooting. It's too busy and not made for that. I like the BDC reticle for that. It seems similar to what I have on my scope and it works well. At those distances your holdovers and drift is so little you're not worried about detailed reticles to make those tiny corrections, because there's no need.

Not to derail or steer you away from Vortex. But Rudolph Optics SA currently has some great deals on.

User

Thank you for all the input. Decided on the Viper HS scope.

Bought it in the week and went to zero yesterday. So far super impressed with the scope. Still a bit weird going back to a second focal plane, but will get use to it in due time.

Zeroed at 100m with 180gr Core-Lokt and first dash mark is at about 165m and shot true to this on the range.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Not to derail or steer you away from Vortex. But Rudolph Optics SA currently has some great deals on.
    Vortex has the best warranty in the business, and they honor it locally as well.
    Some other makes have a fabulous "no questions asked lifetime warranty", but when you have an issue there is a load of questions and then you get referred to the fine print...
    Choose wisely.

I would suggest a 3x or 4x minimum magnification, with 3x being the better for close shots as often happens in bushveld conditions. so,ewhere in the 12x to 16x max magnification should be good for target work, depending on what game exactly is being played. Often a good lens quality scope at 12x lets you see more than a medium (or budget) quality option at 16x, so rather spend on quality than on high magnification.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Vortex has the best warranty in the business, and they honor it locally as well.
    Some other makes have a fabulous "no questions asked lifetime warranty", but when you have an issue there is a load of questions and then you get referred to the fine print...
    Choose wisely.

I would suggest a 3x or 4x minimum magnification, with 3x being the better for close shots as often happens in bushveld conditions. so,ewhere in the 12x to 16x max magnification should be good for target work, depending on what game exactly is being played. Often a good lens quality scope at 12x lets you see more than a medium (or budget) quality option at 16x, so rather spend on quality than on high magnification.
    The Strike Eagle then seems like the perfect do-it-all scope? 3x allowing for close shots and 18x for longer shots. Or is the quality of say the Viper HS better?

P1LGR1M where did you find the Strike Eagle available locally?

User

Don't know which of the two has better glass, but am very happy with the HS. I looked through both in store and could honestly see no difference in the quality for what it's worth.

Safari Outdoor Rivonia had one Strike Eagle in stock when I was there last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by P1LGR1M View Post
    Don't know which of the two has better glass, but am very happy with the HS. I looked through both in store and could honestly see no difference in the quality for what it's worth.

Safari Outdoor Rivonia had one Strike Eagle in stock when I was there last weekend.

Yeah sold out now...

The Viper is awesome, i managed to get the New Strike Eagle 5x25x56 - MOA 7C reticle FFP from Safari & Outdoor in Pretoria on their Jagfees special at a good deal, i stretched my budget a bit but am glad i did !