Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Powder burning silencer

Don't know if this will help but:
    When I bought my FAL few years back, I stripped it and found the gas piston looked close to the condition of your pic. I think it wasn't cleaned in years.

A guy in the gunshop told me to use original scotchbrite pads (not the cheap no name brands)with solvent. Iirc I used Hoppes.
    Scrubbed the piston with that and it ended up looking like a brand new piston.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

User

Some feedback on this, contacted the distributors who said send it in and let us have look.

Big thumbs up #1 - Popped in at Wildman Centurion as they are very close to me, now even though I did not buy it from them, they still had no problem taking it in and sending to the distro's

Thumbs up #2 - Distro had a look and I believe spoke to Aimsonic, who replaced the part no question asked.

Everything is as good as new, well done for the awesome service !!

Doing some more investigation I dropped my load into Gordons. Outcome, the Vit N560 was giving me a 86% burn rate. I suspect this might have been the cause. Will be switching to Alliant R16

User

Did you ever get a conclusive explanation or confirmation of what that build-up in fact is.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    Did you ever get a conclusive explanation or confirmation of what that build-up in fact is.
    The gun smith at Wildman had a look and he agreed it was not build up but melting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3