Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Night sights for Star 9mm

My father in law has a Star 9mm pistol. Not sure if there are specific models. I want to get him night sights if it is possible. Which sights will fit this pistol?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Night sights for Star 9mm

If it's a model B or B Super then you will have to get a gunsmith to fit anything on it for you as the front sight is staked to the slide. Don't know any company which manufactures aftermarket sights for a STAR. They closed down about 20 year ago.
    I have no idea what dovetail is fitted to the rear sight.

User

Whatever model Star it is (and there are a few...); replacing the sights will involve milling dovetails in the slide as for a 1911.

If you can get self luminous / night sights for a 1911 and have a shitload of money then go for it.

Money better spent would be to buy a good defensive type torch and maybe later on get a modern gun with spares availability and options. (Like Glock or CZ)

User

Thanks for the feedback. I would also prefer that he gets a modern pistol. At the moment he cannot really see his sights at night so I wanted to improve his situation first. But maybe a Gen 3 Glock is a better way to go.

Banned

I am still not a tactical guy, but will describe mine. I had same situation as you, and GS drilled a hole length wise through front site and two on back sight, a thin light transmitting rod was put in these holes. I know there is a name for this luminous light collecting material but forget.

It may not be the best of the best, but it is more than double as good as it was. Actually amazing - much more effective than I hoped for.

User

Fibre optic insert is what Treeman is talking about.

User

A set of tritium-filled night sights will likely cost you more than what the pistol is worth. Then add the gunsmithing bill, which will just about be about as much. That seems akin to fitting R20 000 mags with R15 000 tires to a R12 000 Ford Anglia. It may be better and you may enjoy it, but there are way better options.

Consider buying some phosphorous (glow in the dark) paint from a hobby shop and just add a dab to the front sight. That should not cost you a fortune and you can start saving for a modern defensive pistol.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    A set of tritium-filled night sights will likely cost you more than what the pistol is worth. Then add the gunsmithing bill, which will just about be about as much. That seems akin to fitting R20 000 mags with R15 000 tires to a R12 000 Ford Anglia. It may be better and you may enjoy it, but there are way better options.

Consider buying some phosphorous (glow in the dark) paint from a hobby shop and just add a dab to the front sight. That should not cost you a fortune and you can start saving for a modern defensive pistol.
    Haha, he actually put tippex on there which is why I was looking at an upgrade. Will look for some of that paint as well. Thanks.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post

l.
    Pleeeeeze please pleese where can I get one of these R12000 Anglia's

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Pleeeeeze please pleese where can I get one of these R12000 Anglia's
    I will look around for a clapped-out rust bucket for you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast