Default Quick 517 question

Hi. I am submitting all my paperwork for/with the the 517 form next week however I am a little confused...the DFO at my local station said I have to include a motivational letter with the 517....
    I thought this was only needed once competency is granted and I then apply for the actual licence?

She also seemed a bit concerned that I had only done the handgun and not the others? Quite honestly I didn't have the money to do the whole lot and I only require a handgun for self defence...I dont hunt etc..Will this have any bearing on my application? Thanks.

User

Default Re: Quick 517 question

Hi and welcome.

No you dont need a motivation for your competency but good luck with your DFO......

And NO, it wont have any effect on your application if its only for handgun....

Thank you, that's what I thought.....

https://www.saps.gov.za/services/fla...lish/ei517.pdf

If you read through the instructions of the 517 form. You will notice the DFO has to do 2 interviews. One usually wife or spouse. As well as someone not related. Like neighbour.

I believe the letter your DFO is asking for is a letter from one of these persons. Merely saying they know you and your a fine person for example to own a firearm. Instead of them having to go do the interview.

User

Character witness vs Motivation

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I think (hope) it is just a communication problem. A competency can not be motivated. What should it be? "I need this competency because I want to be competent?" Does not make sense. I also bet it is the character witness she is after.

In my rural area the DFO don't travel between persons and also don't expect your witnesses to go to him. He also ask for 2-3 letters from friends and relatives stating that they know you, how long they do, where they and you stay, their realtionship and that they deem you to be a responsible citizen and have no fear for you. Important is that they also state that they have never experienced or seen domestic or gender based violence from you. You are a loving and caring person. You are for "Caring and sharing" instead of "Fighting and swearing."

Just Handgun competency and application for 1 handgun has never been a problem. Go for it! Hope you get your competency quickly.

Also remember, you may buy a handgun so long, even if you still don't have your competency. You can just not apply for the license in the meantime. So if you find a really special price on a piece in the meantime, consider buying it so long.

User

There is no consistency between DFO's it seems.

Some insist on personal interviews and don't even take the SAPS86.
    Some take SAPS86 and conduct telephonic interviews.
    Also one of my friends' wife was with him when he handed in. Interviewed the wife and did not even contact the other two character references (just their SAPS86's).

Well, I did the competency part this morning at the police station...no issues with the paperwork....no motivational letter asked for...just the two character witnesses.
    Now for the wait.....

User

The wait is the worst part. I'm about 3 months short of a year for mine. Still does not make sense to me why a competency and license can't be submitted simultaneously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk