Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Night sights VS WML?

I have a question why get night sights and not just a WML? Won’t a WML be better to ensure shot guns placement as you an see and identify your target where as night sights you can see your sights but not necessarily your target

User

Default Re: Night sights VS WML?

I used to be a big proponent of night sights and I honestly believed and preached WML's were not needed if you had a good handheld torch. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Night sights can be of benefit in certain situations and lighting conditions. But in my admittedly limited experience in low light shooting drills and competitions I have come to the conclusion that a WML is probably the better option. And if you have a really bright torch the ambient light from your torch drowns out the glow of the sight inserts. And then you are just left with normal sights anyway.

User

I had a WML, the small Olight PLmini2, the schlep of fitting it every nigfht and removing every morning was an AD waiting to happen, it was small but still a bitch to carry even in the best holster out there, so I got Trijicon HD XR instead, just ordered a surefire G2Z and will be working on the grip to still shoot 2 handed with the torch, IM NOT going to to argue that its better than a WML, but I prefer my night sights and a torch at the moment and will be practicing a lot with the torch at my local indoor range.

Ill post a video as well in a few

User

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    I had a WML, the small Olight PLmini2, the schlep of fitting it every nigfht and removing every morning was an AD waiting to happen, it was small but still a bitch to carry even in the best holster out there, so I got Trijicon HD XR instead, just ordered a surefire G2Z and will be working on the grip to still shoot 2 handed with the torch, IM NOT going to to argue that its better than a WML, but I prefer my night sights and a torch at the moment and will be practicing a lot with the torch at my local indoor range.

Ill post a video as well in a few
    Torch rings,

https://www.amazon.com/Thyrm-Switchb.../dp/B076J3R3KK
    https://www.surefire.com/products/pa...eous/cr-kit01/

they are game changers when it comes to holding torch and weapon.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    I used to be a big proponent of night sights and I honestly believed and preached WML's were not needed if you had a good handheld torch. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Night sights can be of benefit in certain situations and lighting conditions. But in my admittedly limited experience in low light shooting drills and competitions I have come to the conclusion that a WML is probably the better option. And if you have a really bright torch the ambient light from your torch drowns out the glow of the sight inserts. And then you are just left with normal sights anyway.
    +1 on this. But I would add that a good handheld torch should be 1st on your list, as it has multiple uses. Can easily be placed to provide static/decoy movement/lighting. If you are in a situation where you can keep the wml mounted 24/7, then definitely get the wml and dedicated holster. Having to add/remove it from FA frequently may get you caught where it’s needed but not with you.

User

I'd rather have a good hand held with fibres then no handheld with Night sights. Night sights definitely have there place but it's not a replacement for fibres. If you can carry a WML in your carry position it's a winner but you still need a good hand held with it.

I just went and installed a Viridian WML from Jizni and some Meprolight sights to my P01 about 3 years back. So i Covered all the angles. Hand Held torches have plenty

User

WML on a handgun.

A WML is not a light to be used for identifying threats.

A WML is imo a combat light to be used for no light or very low light target CONFIRMATION in a gunfighting.

Inadequate or minimal training and lack of constant refreshing in the use of a WML like with other gun drills and exercises is an absolute must otherwise the use of a wml on a handgun may result in a liability.

In normal urban ambiant lighting situations one can get by with good tritium sights just about 90% of the time and that can be enhanced with a hand held light all the time.

For me the hierachy of sighting and identifying aids for my gun in an urban situation are
    1. handheld light - using a MaxView beam (like you will find on some Surefires) it will give you excellent very wide illumination so that you do not have to be spot on with pointing the handheld used together with a handgun.
    2. tritium sights if you do not have a slide mounted RDS edc gun.
    3. maybe a wml if really required and the use often refreshed and practised and permanently fixed to your edc gun - my caveat - Using it occasionally may result in a liability due to unfamiliarity.

This is a very worthwhile read https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...mounted-lights
    Last edited by DS; 03-09-2020 at 13:12.

User

Also with regards to the lowlight training aspect which is very important. Looking through tritiums on its own was one thing. But I found that when shining the handheld (1000 lumens), the dot got washed away and it was just the outline of the sight visible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast