Thread: Mossberg 500AB

User

Default Mossberg 500AB

After a very long wait of 14 months, the 500AB is finally home.
    Its still in its original setting as from the factory.
    Beautiful wood work & muzzle break.
    26inch barrel & beautiful art work on it..

I would soon like to do some changes to it, but will think hard about it going forward.
    First would like to shorten the barrel, same length as the magazine tube.
    Then i would like to change the forehand grip & maybe the butt stock to a tactical folding stock..

Anyone maybe have parts they willing to get rid off or advice if i should or shoudn't?

500AB 1.jpg500AB 2.jpg

User

Default Re: Mossberg 500AB

Why not lengthen the mag tube to nearly the length of the barrel?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Can that be done???
    I have never seen the magazine being extended....

User

I love my Mossberg 500! I have a 90's 8 shot with wood furniture. Personally, I think it's a sin to change the beautiful wood for plastic. But it's yours so do whatever makes you hard.

User

Lengthening the magtube on the 500's requires some work to be done to where the barrel fits to the magtube as the tube does not fit through this attachment but only a bolt fits throught it. In order to fit a longer tube this attachment will need to be modified or removed entirely.

The good news is that the tube screws into the reciever and is kept in place by something like Loctite. If you heat up the reciever the tube can be unscrewed (I managed to do this part) . If you can order a longer tube from, for example, Brownells you can replace it. Rumour has it that the 590 tube will fit and this can accept extensions if you want it even longer.

If was explained to me that attaching the barrel to the tube keeps the barrel in place while the gun is being cycled. When the gun is in lockup the barrel is locked in place by the breech block. Removing the tube attaching point from the barrel completely and replacing it with a suitable barrel clamp should work and make it possible to fit whatever length of tube you desire. I found a thread on this exact modification on a different forum a few years ago but sold my Mossberg 500 before I could attempt this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    On the Mossy - it requires a complete change of the mag tube (not an extension) and the barrel lug to be cut off, and rewelded further forward.

Like Lonegunman - I also have an 8 shot version and just love the gun!

Mr K beat me to it with a much better explanation!

User

It is not a muzzle break, it is not even a muzzle brake, it is an adjustable choke. I grew up with a Mossberg just like that.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    On the Mossy - it requires a complete change of the mag tube (not an extension) and the barrel lug to be cut off, and rewelded further forward.

Like Lonegunman - I also have an 8 shot version and just love the gun!
    Aha, so I learned another thing. I thought it could work like my Defender or my Fabarms. I wonder how easy the adjustable choke operates when it becomes a bit dirty. A friend of mine had a adjustable choke on his SG and he ditched it later in favour of fixed chokes, due to not being able to tighten the choke deeper in a Sg match because of buildup inside the choke.