Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Support Trophy hunting in Africa

I support it because of the idea that profits support the remaining animals. How long that idea will last I don't know. Ek meen ek weet mos nou nie asof dit net die baas se Merc betaal of actually veroorsaak dat hy alle inheemse "peste" uitroei omdat dit volgens hom nie 'n bate is. So wie weet. Dit is mos maar 'n neutrale saak en afhangende van wie dit bestuur.

User

I supported the notion because I support the idea of hunting, be it twisted or not.

That said I myself do not support trophy hunting as an idea or concept, it's totally the opposite of what would happen in nature and hence unnatural.

User

The last two questions are interesting. What are the chances of any government giving money to another for conservation... forever. And the money not get stolen

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    That said I myself do not support trophy hunting as an idea or concept, it's totally the opposite of what would happen in nature and hence unnatural.
    In the nature hunting is fulfilling a need. Trophy hunting is fulfilling multiple needs, so it isn't just natural, it's literally supernatural

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    In the nature hunting is fulfilling a need. Trophy hunting is fulfilling multiple needs, so it isn't just natural, it's literally supernatural
    While I agree with you (I see trophy hunting as a necessity from the economic stand point), I think what Messor is hinting at is that it is not the biggest and strongest animals that gets hunted in nature, but rather the weak, slow and sick, leaving the stronger and healthier animals to continue living.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    While I agree with you (I see trophy hunting as a necessity from the economic stand point), I think what Messor is hinting at is that it is not the biggest and strongest animals that gets hunted in nature, but rather the weak, slow and sick, leaving the stronger and healthier animals to continue living.
    Jip, I’ve always been conflicted about the issue since on one hand I know very well trophy hunting is needed since all land is fenced up and that is the only way to preserve many species. On the other trophy hunting is unnatural and merely done to sooth somebody’s ego, if people go after food you’ll shoot a young kudu bull for example and not the biggest one with the best horns.

It really does not matter how I or anybody feels about the subject, because I promise you people that advocate against hunting will not pay the bill if hunting is prohibited. So while I am under no illusion modern hunting is mostly non natural I fully understand it is needed to pay for the survival of many species.

Also I’ve always said hunting will come to an end one day, living far from nature like most folk does creates a barrier between human society and a true understanding about nature and conservation. The angry mob that signs petitions against hunting are those we should worry about, their actions are not driven by intellect and knowledge, their quest for social justice is driven by ignorance and lack of real world insight.

User

Done

User

Done

User

Interesting aspect brought up by Messor,but not entirely valid.
    Trophy hunters as such will take out the biggest horned [in the case of plains game] animal which will also mean that the animal is old and as such,would have had many seasons to breed and pass on its genes.
    Also,these old animals may well be strong or big enough to hold off rivals in the breeding season but they are not 'virile' enough to ensure high pregnancy rate among the ewes or cows. So,in some cases,it can actually be beneficial to take out the old animals and indeed this practice is used as a management tool on well run game farms.

The problem comes in on open farms which are not game fenced and animals such as Kudu can easily roam from farm to farm throughout the district. The average hunter will shoot the biggest animal he finds,which is human nature and this is done by the biltong hunter who wants value for money on farms where you pay a set amount per Bull.This has led to a decline in horn lengh and body weight of eg.Kudu in some areas.

This is a very simplified version and boils down to management equaling sustainability or the lack thereof equaling a decline in both numbers and/or size of game animals.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3