Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    User

Default Re: Licence the person, Register the Firearm

Quote Originally Posted by nkosi View Post
    Australia has a licence the person register the firearm sysytem.

It didn't stop the powers that be from making self defense an invalid legal reason for firearm ownership, or the carrying of handguns illegal (You can get handguns over here, but there are extra hoops to jump through & you cannot, as an ordinary citizen, carry one).

The system does work well in the sense that once you have a firearm licence, you then simply apply for a permit to acquire each firearm that you want, motivated with a genuine legally acepted reason, such as sport, hunting, recreation etc. For the first firearm you have to wait a few weeks, therafter each permit is processed in anything from one day to a few weeks- my record PTA was granted in less than 24 hours.

The PTA application is one document of 2 -3 pages - no writing any motivation bullshit, just tick a box to show whether it is for one or more of the predefined legally accepted genuine reasons (& therein lies the rub), such as sport, hunting recreational use etc, submit proof of such with the form - a copy of your membeship letter/card from a shooting club, hunting association, letter from a land owner etc. suffices.

To me the only genuine reason needed anywhere in the world should be 'because I want one'.

No firearm licencing system on earth, no matter what it is called, is for the benefit of firearm owners, or even for the benefit of the general public.
    Yes the Aus system is far more strict as to legal use and possession of a firearm, but you can acquire one in a far shorter timeframe. If I remember correctly for a handgun it is 6 months as a registered club member, then you submit an application. Turnaround time is breathtakingly fast, as with most bureaucracy that side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    Why on earth would a government that is patently anti gun even consider making it easier for a small group of citizens to legally obtain firearms.
    You left out a word DS - "white" citizens. The harsh reality is that, with relatively few exceptions, ownership of firearms other than for self-defence is a white cultural thing. This is why the whole idea of making a big thing about a new licensing regime is not politicaly at all wise.

Peter

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by High Power View Post
    You left out a word DS - "white" citizens. The harsh reality is that, with relatively few exceptions, ownership of firearms other than for self-defence is a white cultural thing. This is why the whole idea of making a big thing about a new licensing regime is not politicaly at all wise.

Peter
    I think you are not quite correct here..
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Quote Originally Posted by High Power View Post
    The harsh reality is that, with relatively few exceptions, ownership of firearms other than for self-defence is a white cultural thing.
    Private gun ownership is mostly by a minority group in the population, and that minority do not form part of the government support base.

IMO, this is the reason why civilian gun ownership still exists here.

Private gun ownership in the government's majority support base has grown since the introduction of the new act.

The continued increase in the number of legal gun owners in the government's traditional support base is, I believe, what is going to bring the entire issue of civilian gun ownership into question on a government level.

This government does not care that a small minority has a few guns - they know where all the guns are and where everybody lives anyway - it definitely will not tolerate it's support base being legally armed.

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Private gun ownership is mostly by a minority group in the population, and that minority do not form part of the government support base.

IMO, this is the reason why civilian gun ownership still exists here.

Private gun ownership in the government's majority support base has grown since the introduction of the new act.

The continued increase in the number of legal gun owners in the government's traditional support base is, I believe, what is going to bring the entire issue of civilian gun ownership into question on a government level.

This government does not care that a small minority has a few guns - they know where all the guns are and where everybody lives anyway - it definitely will not tolerate it's support base being legally armed.
    Good point

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5