Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Licence the person, Register the Firearm

Show me one piece of legislation that was withdrawn due to polite consultation with the government.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    When the system was going to implode, it was those amongst us that rushed to consult and make things work to prop up a system to disarm us.

( the artisans that installed the gas ducts to exterminate the Jews and others for the Nazis were only doing their jobs well weren't they)
    Touché
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Show me one piece of legislation that was withdrawn due to polite consultation with the government.
    None. This initiative will do well to be supported and those who keep throwing shade on the efforts of others are only protecting their pockets.

User

This statement hits the nail right on the head...

Am I correct to assume that Martin Hood makes a lot of money from related matters?

User

I would hazard a guess and say a bucket-o-cash

User

It is a difficult topic of discussion to circumnavigate. I think all of us might agree that the current state of affairs with licensure and competency is poor. As was previously mentioned, the SAPS does not have the administrative capacity, which is where much of our discontent stems from. If the competency took 1 week from application to approval, and the license a similar timeframe, I think many would find their irritation with the current system alleviated.

Furthermore, I think there will certainly be moves from the SAPS to further restrict legal gun ownership, as has been the case many times before. So in my opinion, trying to liberalise the FCA would be akin to swimming up stream after torrential downpour with your hands tied behind your back. You are going to expend all your energy for 20m then the current will eventually sweep you down stream.

There are many gun owners out there that legally possess a firearm, but are completely removed from the theory of responsible use. A prime example would be the lady pulling a firearm on EFF members in front of a clicks. This is extremely detrimental for those of us that enact responsible gun ownership. We should vehemently distance ourselves from such occurrences and set a precedent for future cowboys.
    Yet the saddest part of that saga is, it most likely represents a significant amount of legal gun owners in South Africa.

Instead of pushing for an amendment to current legislature, I would argue success would be far more likely if we put pressure on the SAPS to exponentially increase their administrative efficiency. We have more firearms rights than most other nations, if we combine resources to protect the status quo, and bring forth legally mandated changes to efficiency, we will have a far more likely instance of success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
    It is a difficult topic of discussion to circumnavigate. I think all of us might agree that the current state of affairs with licensure and competency is poor. As was previously mentioned, the SAPS does not have the administrative capacity, which is where much of our discontent stems from. If the competency took 1 week from application to approval, and the license a similar timeframe, I think many would find their irritation with the current system alleviated.

Furthermore, I think there will certainly be moves from the SAPS to further restrict legal gun ownership, as has been the case many times before. So in my opinion, trying to liberalise the FCA would be akin to swimming up stream after torrential downpour with your hands tied behind your back. You are going to expend all your energy for 20m then the current will eventually sweep you down stream.

There are many gun owners out there that legally possess a firearm, but are completely removed from the theory of responsible use. A prime example would be the lady pulling a firearm on EFF members in front of a clicks. This is extremely detrimental for those of us that enact responsible gun ownership. We should vehemently distance ourselves from such occurrences and set a precedent for future cowboys.
    Yet the saddest part of that saga is, it most likely represents a significant amount of legal gun owners in South Africa.

Instead of pushing for an amendment to current legislature, I would argue success would be far more likely if we put pressure on the SAPS to exponentially increase their administrative efficiency. We have more firearms rights than most other nations, if we combine resources to protect the status quo, and bring forth legally mandated changes to efficiency, we will have a far more likely instance of success.

like we don't have able bodied park in a physically compromised bay

User

Completely agree with you, but we are going to have the same opinion as we are fighting the same fight. Not everyone is as comfortable with the idea of firearms. Especially the government, which why in the US they had the forethought to make gun ownership a right protected by their constitution.

When our government passes regulations that are difficult to comply with due to their bungling we stood a a chance until until those amongst us stepped in.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast