my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Similarities Between Afrikaans and Indonesian

live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Default Re: Similarities Between Afrikaans and Indonesian

Thanks, KK.

Probably due to Dutch imperial rule in both countries.

I also found it interesting the the word for 'concrete' is the same in Afrikaans, Hebrew and French.

Thank you. Very interesting.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Very interesting, Afrikaans was a pidgin language born out of necessity. What is really great is it is has been developed into a first language.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Banned

Bahasa Indonesia, the official language of Indonesia, is actually the old Malaysian language which was taken over when Indonesia became a state. This I have on authority of several Indonesian intellectuals.

The "Malay" slaves in the Cape brought their language along, which explains the words like bobotie, sosatie etc in Afrikaans.

From the Dutch history of Indonesia, Dutch words found their way into the modern Indonesian language, and contributed to the link between Afrikaans and Indonesian.

User

There is a strong Malayan influence in Afrikaans, so this is not surprising.

Slightly off-track, but the Dutch influence in Afrikaans is not as direct as one would imagine. The word "kombuis" for example is not proper Dutch, but comes from the maritime slang language used by sailors, so it denoted a ship's kitchen. (Dutch for kitchen is "keuken".) Understandable, as the Dutchmen all arrived by ship. It is not well known, but about half of Jan van Riebeek's crew were actually Germans. However, most of the crew, of both Dutch and German nationality were Fresian (The people, not the horses.). Afrikaans shows more correlation to "Fries" than proper Dutch. According to some sources, the Fresians are the leftover inhabitants of ancient Atlantis, who were elsewhere when the island sunk under the sea.