Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    813

    Default Re: Are Pointed Pellets Accurate

    Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Safari & Outdoor stock most weights and shapes, you can also buy some of these on Takealot, and probably other gun stores.
    I just go to S&O because I know they usually have stock.

    You also get a JSB Test Pack which has 50 pellets each in 7 different weights and shapes - that is what I used in my test I linked above.

    Last time I bought 1000's since we ran out during lock-down, that will never happen again
    Interesting thanks.

    I just found some at Sharp Edge as well, quite a decent collection.

    https://www.sharpedge.co.za/brands/jsb-match-diabolo?airgun_caliber=501
    https://safarioutdoor.co.za/brands/air-rifles/jsb/l/calibre:177-4-5mm-air


    What would you pick for hunting from these, should I pick a heavier pellet, keeping in mind I don't have the best pellet gun.

  2. #12
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    578

    Default Re: Are Pointed Pellets Accurate

    Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Interesting thanks.

    I just found some at Sharp Edge as well, quite a decent collection.

    https://www.sharpedge.co.za/brands/jsb-match-diabolo?airgun_caliber=501
    https://safarioutdoor.co.za/brands/air-rifles/jsb/l/calibre:177-4-5mm-air


    What would you pick for hunting from these, should I pick a heavier pellet, keeping in mind I don't have the best pellet gun.
    Prices also look good.

    Any of the heavier flat points, or the Exact Heavy, or Exact will work for me, all in 4.52mm.

    Even the Exact Monster but know that they are a lot heavier and bullet drop/velocity will start playing a role.

    What air rifle do you use?

  3. #13
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    813

    Default Re: Are Pointed Pellets Accurate

    Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Prices also look good.

    Any of the heavier flat points, or the Exact Heavy, or Exact will work for me, all in 4.52mm.

    Even the Exact Monster but know that they are a lot heavier and bullet drop/velocity will start playing a role.
    So you prefer flat points to round nose for hunting?

    What air rifle do you use?
    Got myself a Gamo Shadow DX. Bought it at a time when I knew nothing about airguns. It's not terrible but could definitely do better.

    I have thought about getting something a little more decent but then will rather spend that money on my firearms, like say a Roni.

  4. #14
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    578

    Default Re: Are Pointed Pellets Accurate

    Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    So you prefer flat points to round nose for hunting?



    Got myself a Gamo Shadow DX. Bought it at a time when I knew nothing about airguns. It's not terrible but could definitely do better.

    I have thought about getting something a little more decent but then will rather spend that money on my firearms, like say a Roni.
    Yes I do (treeman also mentioned it) the flat points seem to work really well for pest control, followed by the round nose.

    I shoot a lot of feral pigeons and rats, and the flat points really kill very cleanly, the round nose also.

    The Gamo will work just fine, just use iron sights or get a scope designed for springers if you scope (many get away with normal or cheapie scopes for years though).

    My first air rifle was a Diana I got as a boy, and after years of open sights I got a Weaver 4 power scope for it.
    This, with Marksman (sometimes Radius) pellets, many thousands, worked really well for many years.
    My son is now 28 and he still shoots it using the same scope.

    You will not go wrong with JSB pellets, and have a lot of fun.

    I have a number of firearms, but the air rifles and pistols I have still see a lot of use.

  5. #15
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    813

    Default Re: Are Pointed Pellets Accurate

    Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Yes I do (treeman also mentioned it) the flat points seem to work really well for pest control, followed by the round nose.

    I shoot a lot of feral pigeons and rats, and the flat points really kill very cleanly, the round nose also.

    The Gamo will work just fine, just use iron sights or get a scope designed for springers if you scope (many get away with normal or cheapie scopes for years though).

    My first air rifle was a Diana I got as a boy, and after years of open sights I got a Weaver 4 power scope for it.
    This, with Marksman (sometimes Radius) pellets, many thousands, worked really well for many years.
    My son is now 28 and he still shoots it using the same scope.

    You will not go wrong with JSB pellets, and have a lot of fun.

    I have a number of firearms, but the air rifles and pistols I have still see a lot of use.
    The scope came with the rifle so hopefully will last a while. In fact the first rifle I bought didn't have iron sights so I actually returned it for the Shadow DX which did have, just in case the scope gives in one day.

    In fact I have quite a bit to buy firearm related (G17, scope, suppressor, etc.) With this whole Covid situation though I'm not spending where I don't have to and that includes gun stuff, but I will be coming into some money soon and then will splurge on everything I need, it's gonna be like Christmas, can't wait

  6. #16

    Default Re: Are Pointed Pellets Accurate

    Many years ago flat points were noticably more effective than round nose in my experience.

  7. #17
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Age
    50
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Are Pointed Pellets Accurate

    A while ago a bought a tin JSB Match Diablo at Pretoria Arms. My pellet is 5.0mm There were a wide variety in the 4.5 and 5.5 range but in 5 mm just the one in stock. Don't want the idea at that time, because other makes were cheaper, but after I read here sounds it was the right one to buy.

  8. #18

    Default Re: Are Pointed Pellets Accurate

    Air rifle pellets ballistics in air is way different then normal bullets. Normal Bullets are stabilized in air by rifling. Normal bullets weight sits in rear and need this stabilization. Air rifle pellets the weight sits in front of nose. The skirt merely helps it follow trajectory. If you throw a pellet it will on own turn it self facing forward. A bullet will turn around.

    This is reason FX went into smooth bore. As you dont need to spin a pellet at all. This can be seen on Airarmshunting channel where a video is posted about it.

    A pointed pellet is less accurate as the point pushes and cuts through air and if spinned can go little off trajectory loosing accuracy. Hence the reason all match Pellets are either flat point on Dome/Diabolo design.

    Flat point will also casue more damage to target due to flat larger surface hitting target. Where Sharp point smaller point.

    Ive used some Hades J&B while back. They are devastating on targets.

    But Avoid sharp point for accuracy and hunting. They offer zero advantage over dome.

  9. #19
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    635

    Default Re: Are Pointed Pellets Accurate

    Apparently the red pointed pellets expand quite well at low velocities, but accuracy usually sucks. I have not heard of anyone getting reasonable groups. Perhaps you might be the lucky one.

    Flat head pellets hit quite hard, by the BC sucks. Great for pc at short range inside buildings and sheds where you don't want to damage the infrastructure.

  10. #20
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    635

    Default Re: Are Pointed Pellets Accurate

    Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    .....The skirt merely helps it follow trajectory. If you throw a pellet it will on own turn it self facing forward. A bullet will turn around.....
    I do not agree with this. As of yet, I have found no actual scientific proof or sensible math to prove your statement. If true, smooth bore airguns would be just as accurate as air rifles. Just like bullets, if pellets spin too fast or too slow, there is no accuracy. Too little spin causes key-holing and too much spin causes spiralling. This has been empirically tested.

    Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    .....This is reason FX went into smooth bore. As you don't need to spin a pellet at all. This can be seen on Airarmshunting channel where a video is posted about it.
    FX actually has a smooth twist barrel. It starts off as a smooth bore that gradually changes to rifling towards the muzzle end. I'm not sure if it is gain-twist or not, but it does impart a reasonable amount of spin to the pellet.

    The challenge with internet "experts" like Matt is that none if them have much knowledge about aerodynamics. By that I mean hydraulic flow theory, Reynolds numbers, laminar and chaotic flow around pellets. Neither do they have enough math and physics knowledge to understand momentum, inertia, gyroscopic inertia and gyroscopic stabilization. I have yet to see any of them calculate the center of pressure at different angles-of-attack or the location of the centre-of-gravity. They may be well-meaning, but I think they miss the point.

    For instance, FX did not calculate what twist rate would give the ideal stabilization for the pellets and slugs for different velocity regimes. They just made a lot of barrel liners with increasing twist rates and tested them all. That you can also see on an AirArmsHunting video.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •