Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are Pointed Pellets Accurate

So in terms of hunting (birds and squirrels for eating) with regular 4.5mm pellets, how accurate are pointed pellets.

Are the round nose pellets a better choice for hunting? Oh and what about hollow points?

User

Default Re: Are Pointed Pellets Accurate

The pellet shape and it's accuracy have nothing to do with each other. Test and see which ones are most accurate, and then decide what sort of pellet you need for your application (depending on how fast your rifle shoots, distance, quarry, etc.).

User

None of the pointed shape pellets that I have tested have been accurate beyond 15m. You don't need pointed pellets for anything that an airgun can do.
    I have taken pest animals out to 140m with an airgun and being pointed or hollow point would have made no difference in the terminal ballistics, all of them died instantly with the JSB Exacts I used.

User

^^ It's unfortunate that the airrifle.co.za forum came to an end. There was a wealth of info related to pellets buried there.
    Any way, my experience has been pretty much as BEX, I have only 1 PCP now, but as a rule the traditional Diablo design (bee) is the most versatile and effective.
    The others have their place, such as cutting clean holes in paper, but generally diablo does everything well.
    Story I heard was Air Arms and JSB are in cahoots, JSB makes the pellets for Air Arms, who only accept the batches from new dies, once they wear a bit, JSB takes the rest.
    But barrels are barrels, test for accuracy as per suggestion to see what works for you.

User

It is up and running again https://www.airrifle.co.za

Look in the air rifle section here on GunSite, I recently did a test with different JSB pellets, shapes and weight, with different results out of the same gun, also a grouping with Umarex which my one PCP clearly does not like.

User

Yes, just been on there , airrifle site is up again. that is a good site for information on everything air rifles.

User

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...78#post1376378

This is a test with a few different shapes and weights, mostly JSB with one RWS and one Umarex grouping.
    Same PCP, same pressure, same distance and windless conditions.

Find what works best in your air rifle, do not be bothered with shape too much, but I prefer the diabolo dome shaped or flat nose pellets.
    Have shot a lot of pests with flat points, many more with cheap dome shaped Marksman as a kid (but apparently their quality sucks now).

I prefer the heaviest pellets my rifles can shoot accurately in my rifles.
    I do not like the pointy pellets much, but that is just personal preference so I cannot comment on their effectiveness and accuracy.
    Same goes for gimmicky pellets, I just do not use them.

Testing and finding what works best, like all shooting, is part of the fun.

Banned

Pointed pellets did not work for me and it seems there are scientific reasons why they "should" be less accurate.
    Flat pellets seem to have more "just fall over" kills than pointed. (learnt early from a shameful childhood of see it shoot school holidays"

I will also say that the more you pay for pellets the better they will group, but anything is good for hitting cans. All 9 of our guns seem to shoot in relation to price of pellet, with each having a barely determinable preference and all shooting the same better than what ever was not so good in the other gun.

Thanks guys will stick with the dome nose then.

Any idea where to buy JSB pellets in Cape Town or anywhere for that matter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Thanks guys will stick with the dome nose then.

Any idea where to buy JSB pellets in Cape Town or anywhere for that matter.
    Safari & Outdoor stock most weights and shapes, you can also buy some of these on Takealot, and probably other gun stores.
    I just go to S&O because I know they usually have stock.

You also get a JSB Test Pack which has 50 pellets each in 7 different weights and shapes - that is what I used in my test I linked above.

Last time I bought 1000's since we ran out during lock-down, that will never happen again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast