Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Modern" 7.65

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: "Modern" 7.65

You are all of great help here. Thanks.

CZ 70 - Maybe heavy for size and difficult to rack etc. Same with PPK's

Revolvers - They are too bulky for concealment for her.

Beretta Mod 81 - I missed this in my search! Seems almost like a really good option to also explore further.

If going the .22 LR route a Glock 44 might do, but the .22 LR is another can of worms with options and a 7,65 are supposed to be a way better pistol for serious SD than a .22

Glock 25 I have not looked at. Will look into it. But then a 42 would be easier to carry all day. If going the .380 route it will probably be one of the Glocks

User

+1 for the Beretta 80 series, if you can find a decent good condition one. Alternatively, the Beretta 70/71 in 7.65 might also work. It has a single stack mag though.
    Glock 25 is also an option, but it's big compared to the other options out there.

User

Sounds like a Glock 42 solution here.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

What are the opinions on the Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP? If we can find one.

It is an upgrade to the current .25 ACP STAR Firestar.

The Tomcat would still be better than a brick and than a .22 LR or .25 ACP

The .380ACP is snappy out of the PPK, Ruger LCP and similar compact handguns. The exception is the Glock 42 which is quite mild to handle. But this calibre could work in larger handguns like Beretta 84 and CZ83.

For a weaker individual the .32ACP will work better. Once again the larger Beretta 81 and CZ83 will work better. In smaller handguns look at a Walther PP or Beretta 70. The PP will recoil slightly less than the more compact PPK/S variants. The Beretta Tomcat is smaller and will recoil a little more, but good luck finding one. The CZ 50 and 70 models are far more roughly put together than a Walther so the slides are a little harder to manipulate.

Another option you missed completely is a revolver in .32S&W Long. You might be able to find a used Smith & Wesson which will have a pretty decent trigger. The .32 revolvers normally have a 6 to 7 round capacity compared to similar size .38spl revolvers with 5 shot capacity. There is a BIG difference in recoil between .38spl and .32S&W Long. The .38spl will be too much for her whereas the .32 is very mild.

I feel your pain about no modern .32ACPs. I have a PPK in .32ACP which is super accurate. I wouldnt mind a smaller .32ACP pistol for NHSA mini box gun. But there are no to few options in RSA. Now if Ruger brought an LCP in .32ACP now that would work for all of us. But sadly the Americans are fixated on the .380ACP. There is a recent LCP2 in .22lr but that calibre was not on your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Gents (and ladies)

I am getting confused. And have a predicament. My Mom carries a .25 ACP, everyday, whole day and always. She cab handle the pistol. It is reliable. Is better than a brick. But needs replacement for something bigger.

She has tried out the Glock 19 s (Gen 3,4 and 5) in the family, it is too big. Also the 26 gen 3. Fits better, but 9 mm P recoil is too much for her aged hands. The G43 we have is way too snappy for her. So actually, a 9 mm P is too hard recoiling for her, period.

I am trying to give advice, but struggle with my thoughts. A .380 (Glock 42) might be a solution, but a bit longer grip would be helpfull. I will first find a G42 somewhere that she can shoot with.

My current reasoning are towards a 7.65. But, here is where I need help. Which pistol? Glock refuse to make us one. I have searched for other brands, but cannot put my finger on a decent "modern type" pistol in 7.65. PPK seems to be it?

What are the options for a 70 year old lady that struggle to handle 9 mm P recoil and probably also will struggle with .380?
    I've got a 7.65 PPK loaded with Speer GD, its serves its purpose as my "PJ" gun it fulfills that purpose but be cognizant that double action first shot is on the heavy side and even though i really like the decocker feature and the loaded chamber indicator on it, its still a nice gun.

Perhaps look at Star DKL in 380 but it is SAO and the recoil is non-existent, way less than the PPK in 7.65

Also check the S&W bodyguard in 380?

User

A few Random thoughts:

Revolvers: The "snubby" revolvers in 38 Spl are usually painful due to recoil and the small grips and the DA trigger is not easy to master, especially for someone with diminished strength. Not all that small either, most have the same overall dimensions as a G19, with a significantly fatter cylinder. Good .32 revolvers are very few and far between. A Ruger SP101 in 32H&R Mag is a good gun, but would have to be a special import and the price will not be cheap. Then there is the issue of ammo availability. No, I would not go there.

The CZ50/70 has been discussed. No.

Beretta 81/84. These are decent guns, but they are just as large as a G19 and heavier. The recoil impulse is also quite snappy due to blow-back design. Same goes for the CZ83, it's just heavier.

Beretta 70/71. I owned one in .22 and it is a great little pistol. Single action trigger without FPB safety, so there is some risk when carrying loaded. They are not modern, coming from 50 years ago, and the 7,65 version is quite scarce. Spares and mags would be a serious issue.

Star DKL. An older 1911-style single action in 9mmS (or 7,65mm) without FPB safety and with spare parts availability issues. Locked breech design, so very soft shooting. They usually sell for around R2k.

There are 3 9mm Short Glocks: G25 (G19 sized 9mmS), G28 (G26-sized 9mmS) and the G42. I would look at the last 2 options, with the G42 being my first choice for the purpose. Due to the locked breech design they are significantly less snappy than a comparable blow-back design.

Due to the G19 size I would not go fro a G44. The 22LR ammo is also not 100% reliable due to the vulnerability of the priming compound in the rim of the case. Normal primers are protected and sealed with a card and varnish. In a rim fire, the powder rubs in the priming compound with every movement of the cartridge. Not significant in the safe, but a serious problem for EDC.

The Ruger LCP is a decent size and as modern as it gets. The trigger is hard to manage, similar to a snubby revolver. I have not shot a LCP11, but hear that the trigger is better. You may want to consider this one.

If I were in your shoes, the choice would be between the Ruger LCP11 and Glock 42.

Banned

Given the fact of her physical condition, one basically only has the choice of "mouse gun" calibres like .22, .22Mag and .32. (Except if some company produces a subcompact 9mmS pistol with low enough recoil.) The .25 has probably the worst penetration of all, and she wants something better.

Now the basic choice is between a new and small .22 pistol (reliability), or an older .32 pistol (penetration).

The concealibility of a snubbie revolver differs from person to person. Some find them horrible, I carried mine for 16 years. Maybe try and find her a .32 rollie to try out? Yes,far from optimal but still better than a .25 pistol.

The only .22 Mag pistols I know of are made by Keltec.

User

This is where the G42 shines because it's a locked-breach design, therefore doesnt need a heavy slide and very stiff recoil spring. Combined this results in nice low recoil and a slide that's easy to rack. The small size and light weight makes it imminently carryable. I can't see how any old gun in a marginable caliber can be a better solution than a G42...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    This is where the G42 shines because it's a locked-breach design, therefore doesnt need a heavy slide and very stiff recoil spring. Combined this results in nice low recoil and a slide that's easy to rack. The small size and light weight makes it imminently carryable. I can't see how any old gun in a marginable caliber can be a better solution than a G42...
    This sounds attractive. The proof of this pudding would be whether she can handle the recoil.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast