Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default SAPS Wierdabrug - Refusing to process application within timeframe

Can someone offer some guidance please.

SAPS Wierdabrug in Pretoria work of appointments, so you need to make an appointment with them to do any form firearm application or renewal.
    After confirming with them my firearm expires on 23 December 2020 (this was 1st of September) they gave me an appointment date of 7 October 2020.
    This date falls outside of the 90 days that I need to do my renewal in.

So I went to the station today to get clarity on this, and the officer refused to help me before my appointment date, and says the 90 days is only a guideline, he will help me even if I come the day before it expires.
    I contacted Legally Armed, and as I suspected the feedback would be, is that it is not acceptable, it has to be before the 90 days of expiry.

I will be returning and asking to speak to the station commander about this, because legally they cannot refuse you but they just do what they want.
    The guy doing applications even said "I work here not you, please go away".

Guidance I ask, should I go prepared with a letter that I request they sign and stamp should they refuse me?
    What wording do I use?

User

Default Re: SAPS Wierdabrug - Refusing to process application within timeframe

Hi,

Very concerning, as I need to submit a renewal as well, can you share the contact number for Wierdabrug for making an appointment please?

User

Rather go too another Dfo close to your work place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

A close friend of mine only obtained an appointment on the 2 November 2020 for his additional competency application.

User

Anyone have a number to contact for the appointment?

User

Well, if they accept your renewal application then you have your receipt thereof as proof, and you need not worry. When I did my renewal the DFO said they don't accept renewals before the 90 day period, and they accept it right up until the day of expiration. Which makes complete sense to me. Does the law say you have to renew before 90 days? Or within 90 days prior to expiration?

User

Wierdabrug DFO number is 0126850046.

Phoned them beginning of August for an appointment for the submission of additional compentency, only got an appointment for 29 September 2020.

User

My local DFO here in Brits accepted four renewals in July 2020 which will only expire in 2 Jan 2021.

User

Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by Oetie View Post
    Wierdabrug DFO number is 0126850046.

Phoned them beginning of August for an appointment for the submission of additional compentency, only got an appointment for 29 September 2020.

User

Yes, the firearms control act specifically states 90 day before expiry.
    You can also see it here on the saps website : https://www.saps.gov.za/services/fla...aq_renewal.php

Any person who wishes to renew his/her firearm licence to possess a firearm, to deal in firearms, manufacture firearms or conduct business as a gunsmith must apply for the applicable licence at least 90 days before the date of expiry of the licence.
    And I have tried before, at the same station, to hand in a renewel before expiry but within the 90 days (so lets say 30 days left on the expiry date) and got refused to hand it in.
    I had to do amnesty for that firearm with re-application a few months ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast