Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Cool Hello All! - Excited - Awaiting Competency!

Dear All,

I am 29 years of age and reside in strand as i am working near somerset west, i purchased (without having the necessary certification = waiting game) a Savage model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor (Feb 2020), still awaiting competency application to be approved.

I am very excited about reloading and the whole long range experience as well as extreme long range target shooting

- i then recently encountered the opportunity to acquire a 50 BMG which i couldn't let slip.

So now, i am awaiting competency approval, then i will be sending in 2x applications.

I have done thorough motivation on the dedicated sports person application which will be for the 50 within section 16.

Regards,
    Francois

Default Re: Hello All! - Excited - Awaiting Competency!

all the best. without experience history you might struggle to motivate for a dedicated for the 50 bmg. Someone can correct me but I'd say get the savage and build a history first. Enter a few events and join clubs etc.

Which 50 did you buy?

User

Hi Glenn,

That was my thought aswell;

Taking in to consideration, i will have applied for the 6.5, and get the reference number, and then add the reference number of the 6.5 application to my 50BMG application, by doing this atleast i bring to the attention of Mr. CFR that there is another application whic his in progress as opposed to stating i have no firearm licenses and the CFR sees that my 6.5 application is approved.

Steyr Mannlicher HS50
    Attachment 32206

my very honest opinion is that safari might not have been wise to sell this to you without any history for a dedicated motivation but I might be totally wrong as they are supposed ot be the experts. To get a dedicated motivation I thought you need to show that you've been involved and have some sort of history with a club who then gives you a motivation that you are dedicated. Then you submit this. The fact that you already have one motivation submitted for another rifle doesn't really prove you're motivated.

But I might be totally wrong and i do hope it goes through fine. When did you submit the competency

User

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post
    all the best. without experience history you might struggle to motivate for a dedicated for the 50 bmg. Someone can correct me but I'd say get the savage and build a history first. Enter a few events and join clubs etc.

Which 50 did you buy?
    Welcome Brillo and good luck with the wait.

Glenn- interesting point and would like more views to debate. My understanding was, if you have dedicated status, and motivate for the the appropriate sport accordingly, why do you need to show experience with other firearms? Thought it was more around saying 1.) You are a dedicated sportsperson and 2.) the firearm is appropriate for the specific sport and 3.) you don't have other firearms that can do the same thing (not sure?).

So for example, you shouldnt need to own, say, a .22 in order to motivate for .300 etc etc

Or am I missing the point?

User

Default Hello All! - Excited - Awaiting Competency!

Quote Originally Posted by Brillo View Post
    Dear All,

I am 29 years of age and reside in strand as i am working near somerset west, i purchased (without having the necessary certification = waiting game) a Savage model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor (Feb 2020), still awaiting competency application to be approved.

I am very excited about reloading and the whole long range experience as well as extreme long range target shooting

- i then recently encountered the opportunity to acquire a 50 BMG which i couldn't let slip.

So now, i am awaiting competency approval, then i will be sending in 2x applications.

I have done thorough motivation on the dedicated sports person application which will be for the 50 within section 16.

Regards,
    Francois
    Hi Francois, always exciting when you have a rifle waiting to be picked up by its new owner. The competency is a bit of a slog at the moment, but licenses applications are being processed in reasonable timeframes it seems.

One question, is the 50 BMG a semi auto? Like a Barrett? If so, I'd recommend getting the motivation professionally done, preferably by someone that has previously motivated for such a firearm. It is possible, as I know someone that has successfully done it.

If it is a bolt action, you shouldn't have any issues. Explain the ballistics of the 50 BMG in detail, and why it is so well suited to extreme long range target shooting. We used it professionally to that end, because it has an excellent ballistic coefficient. It has less bullet drop than a specifically designed long range cartridge, like the 338 Lapua Magnum.

Good luck to you, and hopefully the wait is over sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beautiful looking rifle. I had the opportunity to shoot one two years ago and passed it up, wish i hadn't, just to be able to experience it

Quote Originally Posted by b20 View Post
    Welcome Brillo and good luck with the wait.

Glenn- interesting point and would like more views to debate. My understanding was, if you have dedicated status, and motivate for the the appropriate sport accordingly, why do you need to show experience with other firearms? Thought it was more around saying 1.) You are a dedicated sportsperson and 2.) the firearm is appropriate for the specific sport and 3.) you don't have other firearms that can do the same thing (not sure?).

So for example, you shouldnt need to own, say, a .22 in order to motivate for .300 etc etc

Or am I missing the point?

hi b20. i agree with your comments. But it sounds like brillo has nothing. he hasn't got his competency and he has no dedicated status. That's why i thought it was strange. He would basically be apply for a dedicated massive calibre rifle license with no history at all and a brand new competency license. If he already had a competency and a dedicated status then the application should be fine. Again though I'd be keen to hear peoples views

i guess the question in my head is

is it enough to prove the future intended use of the rifle you're purchasing for a dedicated status, without any previous history

or

do you have to show some sort of history of shooting to be able to apply for dedicated license

User

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post
    hi b20. i agree with your comments. But it sounds like brillo has nothing. he hasn't got his competency and he has no dedicated status. That's why i thought it was strange. He would basically be apply for a dedicated massive calibre rifle license with no history at all and a brand new competency license. If he already had a competency and a dedicated status then the application should be fine. Again though I'd be keen to hear peoples views
    I think it'd be safest to apply under section 16. No one would reasonably assume an occasional sports shooter plinks with a 50. But the round has a valid sports purpose, and can be motivated accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast