Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Hello All! - Excited - Awaiting Competency!

sorry francois if i'm ruining your excitement here but i am curious as I'm trying to get a dedicated status and I've been told by the one organisation that I'm with that I should rather first build up a history of shoots before they can give me a really good motivation from themselves which i can submit with the dedicated license application. I guess I could apply with saps for a dedicated without any previous history or club motivation but does it negatively impact my chances of success, especially with such a big calibre rifle

User

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post
    i guess the question in my head is

is it enough to prove the future intended use of the rifle you're purchasing for a dedicated status, without any previous history

or

do you have to show some sort of history of shooting to be able to apply for dedicated license
    There is no requisite under those terms in the FCA. If he is accredited as a dedicated sports shooter, or dedicated dinosaur hunter with a SAPS accredited institution, he meets the pre-requisites. You can't garner experience without the necessary equipment to actively take part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
    I think it'd be safest to apply under section 16. No one would reasonably assume an occasional sports shooter plinks with a 50. But the round has a valid sports purpose, and can be motivated accordingly.

I don't know francois so this is not a reflection on him but I'm sure there's plenty of people with tons of cash who would buy a 50 cal for the odd plink around:) I wish i was one of those:)

User

Default Hello All! - Excited - Awaiting Competency!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post
    sorry francois if i'm ruining your excitement here but i am curious as I'm trying to get a dedicated status and I've been told by the one organisation that I'm with that I should rather first build up a history of shoots before they can give me a really good motivation from themselves which i can submit with the dedicated license application. I guess I could apply with saps for a dedicated without any previous history or club motivation but does it negatively impact my chances of success, especially with such a big calibre rifle
    This institution is giving you false or misleading information. Dedicated, is dedicated. There isn't even a legal requirement for a motivation under S16. As was confirmed in the high court, end of last year.

User

Hi Glenn,

Thanks Glenn, your honest opinion makes me more cautious and aware of the requirements needed!

I must admit, yes it will be a bitter pill for CFR to swallow, but it-is-what-it-is
    - if i legally comply with the regulation set out within the Act, i do not foresee any obstacles in this regard.

I am only storing the rifle at Safari Outdoor & i have not purchased the rifle from them.
    - Safari outdoor offered to do the motivation for the 50BMG on my behalf, but i declined, as i am aware of the requirements and managed to slap together (in a decent fashion) together.

1. Competency
    2. NHSA Membership
    3. NHSA Dedicated Sports Person Status
    4. Motivation

I believe all the above is needed when applying for a rifle such as the 50, if i could, i would've purchased a 20mm NTW-110, but that might be a little hard to motivate as it's primary purpose is anti material.
    - Note that my current motivation consists of ~15 attachments, still need to do the shoot (practical) to obtain dedicated status)

My motivation will be purely based on something which i would like to do, but i cannot as i do not have a license to possess such rifle (50 BMG)
    - I agree that any prior experience (logged with accredited association will be beneficial, and might even be critical in such application)

- You are correct, another applications reference number will not be beneficial in any way towards the new 50 application, but i want to make sure that CFR is aware that i have applied for another rifle.

I will keep all updated, once approved, i will share my application with others to ensure all the bases are covered.

There is no requisite under those terms in the FCA. If he is accredited as a dedicated sports shooter, or dedicated dinosaur hunter with a SAPS accredited institution, he meets the pre-requisites. You can't garner experience without the necessary equipment to actively take part.

Thanks tomtom. Again I agree wiht the comment but my mind is struggling with this. You say If he is accredited as a dedicated sports shooter, or dedicated dinosaur hunter with a SAPS accredited institution, he meets the pre-requisites.

my question is how do you become accredited with a saps accredited institution with absolutely no history with them. Francois is going to receive his competency license and the next day apply for the dedicated license. I'm not saying it can't be done but are your chances of an approved dedicated license equally successful if you don't have any motivation from another organisation.

I might be wrong completely and happy to accept if i am

User

Hi tomtom,

I am aware of that, and i will fully take advantage of Section 16 - Dedicated Sports Person

This institution is giving you false or misleading information. Dedicated, is dedicated. There isn't even a legal requirement for a motivation under S16. As was confirmed in the high court, end of last year.

happy to accept this, thanks

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brillo View Post
    Hi Glenn,

Thanks Glenn, your honest opinion makes me more cautious and aware of the requirements needed!

I must admit, yes it will be a bitter pill for CFR to swallow, but it-is-what-it-is
    - if i legally comply with the regulation set out within the Act, i do not foresee any obstacles in this regard.

I am only storing the rifle at Safari Outdoor & i have not purchased the rifle from them.
    - Safari outdoor offered to do the motivation for the 50BMG on my behalf, but i declined, as i am aware of the requirements and managed to slap together (in a decent fashion) together.

1. Competency
    2. NHSA Membership
    4. Motivation

I believe all the above is needed when applying for a rifle such as the 50, if i could, i would've purchased a 20mm NTW-110, but that might be a little hard to motivate as it's primary purpose is anti material.
    - Note that my current motivation consists of ~15 attachments, still need to do the shoot (practical) to obtain dedicated status)

My motivation will be purely based on something which i would like to do, but i cannot as i do not have a license to possess such rifle (50 BMG)
    - I agree that any prior experience (logged with accredited association will be beneficial, and might even be critical in such application)

- You are correct, another applications reference number will not be beneficial in any way towards the new 50 application, but i want to make sure that CFR is aware that i have applied for another rifle.

I will keep all updated, once approved, i will share my application with others to ensure all the bases are covered.
    Let us know how things go and all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Brillo View Post
    Hi Glenn,

1. Competency
    2. NHSA Membership
    4. Motivation

Thanks Brillo and I wish you all the best. Please share your experience.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast