Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hello All! - Excited - Awaiting Competency!

Hi Glenn,

The thing is, it is easy to obtain dedicated status with NHSA, as there is no years of experience requirement

Note: I am fully aware that your concern is valid as I do not have any experience, besides taking Kudus with a 308 when i was 9 years old
    - Events was not logged, as i was not a member of any association at the time.

I do not think you are wrong, from a reasonable perspective you are COMPLETELY CORRECT, someone with NO experience whom obtained dedicated status, how ?
    - Answer: By completing one target shoot and uploading the target to NHSA, this is the requirements

From the NHSA Site;;

DEDICATED STATUS COURSES - PROCESS
    - Enrol as member here

- Confirm your contact details (online after enrolment)

- Apply to Enrol for the Dedicated Hunter and/or the Dedicated Sport-Person Course on your Personal Natshoot Profile Page

- Receive the study material per courier or downloadable version (please note, the downloadable version is print and copy-protected)

To achieve dedicated status you need to complete 3 steps
    Step 1 - Complete the online evaluation
    Once you're ready to start the evaluation, please visit your Personal Natshoot Profile Page under the dedicated status course section.
    There will be a button under the "Evaluation column called "Start Evaluation?"
    You need to complete and pass this questionnaire to qualify for Dedicated Hunter Status, Dedicated Sport-person Status or Dual Status (both Dedicated Hunter & Sport-person Status) (time = 60 minutes).
    The results of the evaluation will reflect here once the candidate has successfully finished with the theoretical evaluation.
    Please Note: The link to the evaluation will only open 7 calendar days after the candidate has received the study material, in order to afford candidates enough time to work trough the study material.

Step 2 - Complete the practical evaluation
    Consists of shooting ONE Exercise relevant target (Dedicated Hunter course OR Dedicated Sport-person course) downloaded from your personal member page and shot at any publically recognized shooting range.
    OR
    Consists of shooting TWO exercise relevant targets (Dual Status - Dedicated Hunter AND Sport-person course) downloaded from your personal member page and shot at any publically recognized shooting range.
    Please scan the shot Targets in PDF-format, with ALL fields completed on the Targets, and upload your target/s under the dedicated status courses section on your Personal Natshoot Profile Page where it asks you to upload the targets (scores)

(Once you've completed your online evaluation, there will be an "action needed" block called "upload scores" - reflected on your dedicated courses page - upload your shot targets there)

Once approved it will display under your scores and activity report as a postal shoot

Step 3 - Apply for the dedicated status

Once your score/s has been approved for the practical of dedicated status, you can apply for the dedicated status under your dedicated status courses section.

Click on “ + Apply dedicated Status” under the "action needed" block (next to your evaluation mark)

Quote Originally Posted by Brillo View Post
    Hi Glenn,

Thanks Glenn, your honest opinion makes me more cautious and aware of the requirements needed!

I must admit, yes it will be a bitter pill for CFR to swallow, but it-is-what-it-is
    - if i legally comply with the regulation set out within the Act, i do not foresee any obstacles in this regard.

I am only storing the rifle at Safari Outdoor & i have not purchased the rifle from them.
    - Safari outdoor offered to do the motivation for the 50BMG on my behalf, but i declined, as i am aware of the requirements and managed to slap together (in a decent fashion) together.

1. Competency
    2. NHSA Membership
    3. NHSA Dedicated Sports Person Status
    4. Motivation

I believe all the above is needed when applying for a rifle such as the 50, if i could, i would've purchased a 20mm NTW-110, but that might be a little hard to motivate as it's primary purpose is anti material.
    - Note that my current motivation consists of ~15 attachments, still need to do the shoot (practical) to obtain dedicated status)

My motivation will be purely based on something which i would like to do, but i cannot as i do not have a license to possess such rifle (50 BMG)
    - I agree that any prior experience (logged with accredited association will be beneficial, and might even be critical in such application)

- You are correct, another applications reference number will not be beneficial in any way towards the new 50 application, but i want to make sure that CFR is aware that i have applied for another rifle.

I will keep all updated, once approved, i will share my application with others to ensure all the bases are covered.

I see you've gone the route of getting the NHSA dedicated status which is what i was thinking about. So you are adding to your saps motivation to show that you're doing all of this. This is the evidence I was thinking of. I hear what tomtom is saying that this is not actually legally required but I'm sure it doesn't harm your chances of a successful application. Good luck

User

Thank you Sir,

I will advise once they declined my application, and then you can tell me "I TOLD YOU SO"

A- They might approve because legally i am complying with the rules and regulation set out and fulfilling the requirements
    B- They might decline, as they might be concerned of the caliber in the hands of someone whom has no other rifles on their name / experience

Let's hope for the best :-)

Thanks

Hi Glenn,

The thing is, it is easy to obtain dedicated status with NHSA, as there is no years of experience requirement

Note: I am fully aware that your concern is valid as I do not have any experience, besides taking Kudus with a 308 when i was 9 years old
    - Events was not logged, as i was not a member of any association at the time.

I do not think you are wrong, from a reasonable perspective you are COMPLETELY CORRECT, someone with NO experience whom obtained dedicated status, how ?
    - Answer: By completing one target shoot and uploading the target to NHSA, this is the requirements

From the NHSA Site;;

DEDICATED STATUS COURSES - PROCESS
    - Enrol as member here

- Confirm your contact details (online after enrolment)

- Apply to Enrol for the Dedicated Hunter and/or the Dedicated Sport-Person Course on your Personal Natshoot Profile Page

- Receive the study material per courier or downloadable version (please note, the downloadable version is print and copy-protected)

To achieve dedicated status you need to complete 3 steps
    Step 1 - Complete the online evaluation
    Once you're ready to start the evaluation, please visit your Personal Natshoot Profile Page under the dedicated status course section.
    There will be a button under the "Evaluation column called "Start Evaluation?"
    You need to complete and pass this questionnaire to qualify for Dedicated Hunter Status, Dedicated Sport-person Status or Dual Status (both Dedicated Hunter & Sport-person Status) (time = 60 minutes).
    The results of the evaluation will reflect here once the candidate has successfully finished with the theoretical evaluation.
    Please Note: The link to the evaluation will only open 7 calendar days after the candidate has received the study material, in order to afford candidates enough time to work trough the study material.

Step 2 - Complete the practical evaluation
    Consists of shooting ONE Exercise relevant target (Dedicated Hunter course OR Dedicated Sport-person course) downloaded from your personal member page and shot at any publically recognized shooting range.
    OR
    Consists of shooting TWO exercise relevant targets (Dual Status - Dedicated Hunter AND Sport-person course) downloaded from your personal member page and shot at any publically recognized shooting range.
    Please scan the shot Targets in PDF-format, with ALL fields completed on the Targets, and upload your target/s under the dedicated status courses section on your Personal Natshoot Profile Page where it asks you to upload the targets (scores)

(Once you've completed your online evaluation, there will be an "action needed" block called "upload scores" - reflected on your dedicated courses page - upload your shot targets there)

Once approved it will display under your scores and activity report as a postal shoot

Step 3 - Apply for the dedicated status

Once your score/s has been approved for the practical of dedicated status, you can apply for the dedicated status under your dedicated status courses section.

Click on “ + Apply dedicated Status” under the "action needed" block (next to your evaluation mark)

Thanks for this. I'm not applying through the NHSA but it's the last point where the organisation I've gone through said it would be better to have experience logged wiht them. So I've done the easy theory and practical tests which doesn't prove much. But when i click on the apply button in the last line they said it would be better, maybe not an actual requirement, to have a little logged shooting history.

I'm not too phased about waiting for a little history as I don't have the cash to buy any new rifles etc:)

User

Hi Glenn,

Thanks Glenn, your honest opinion makes me more cautious and aware of the requirements needed!

I must admit, yes it will be a bitter pill for CFR to swallow, but it-is-what-it-is
    - if i legally comply with the regulation set out within the Act, i do not foresee any obstacles in this regard.

I am only storing the rifle at Safari Outdoor & i have not purchased the rifle from them.
    - Safari outdoor offered to do the motivation for the 50BMG on my behalf, but i declined, as i am aware of the requirements and managed to slap together (in a decent fashion) together.

1. Competency
    2. NHSA Membership
    3. NHSA Dedicated Sports Person Status
    4. Motivation

I believe all the above is needed when applying for a rifle such as the 50, if i could, i would've purchased a 20mm NTW-110, but that might be a little hard to motivate as it's primary purpose is anti material.
    - Note that my current motivation consists of ~15 attachments, still need to do the shoot (practical) to obtain dedicated status)

My motivation will be purely based on something which i would like to do, but i cannot as i do not have a license to possess such rifle (50 BMG)
    - I agree that any prior experience (logged with accredited association will be beneficial, and might even be critical in such application)

- You are correct, another applications reference number will not be beneficial in any way towards the new 50 application, but i want to make sure that CFR is aware that i have applied for another rifle.

I will keep all updated, once approved, i will share my application with others to ensure all the bases are covered.
    Remember, you need to motivate why two rifles are necessary for your chosen sporting discipline. If you motivate both for long range target shooting, you run a VERY high risk of getting one of them denied because you have 'failed to convince the registrar of a need for the firearm', as so many of us have been through.

In this case, based on the questions being asked, I would HIGHLY advise to have it done professionally. And I mean that with sincerity, as I want your applications to be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Sir,

I will advise once they declined my application, and then you can tell me "I TOLD YOU SO"

A- They might approve because legally i am complying with the rules and regulation set out and fulfilling the requirements
    B- They might decline, as they might be concerned of the caliber in the hands of someone whom has no other rifles on their name / experience

Let's hope for the best :-)

Thanks
    Hey Brillo I really wasn't arguing or trying to be negative with your application and I really hope you get it. I would never tell you I told you so. I was really just trying to understand how it works because I've been told different things. I sincerely apologies if it came across the way you seem to have read it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post
    I see you've gone the route of getting the NHSA dedicated status which is what i was thinking about. So you are adding to your saps motivation to show that you're doing all of this. This is the evidence I was thinking of. I hear what tomtom is saying that this is not actually legally required but I'm sure it doesn't harm your chances of a successful application. Good luck
    Glenn, it is not legally required, but it is unfortunately still necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apologies everyone if I've come across harsh etc. I really am just trying to understand the process and i also though collectively we could ensure that Brillo has everything in order to increase his chances of success. The last thing you want with the current delays is to have to resubmit.

Apologies

User

Hi And welcome Brillo.

Interesting conversation I just read and im pretty happy that Glenn does not work at CFR....

Once you get dedicated status from NHSA then you classify as dedicated, with SADPA you need to first shoot a couple of club shoots and build up points to get awarded DSS, with NHSA is much easier.

if i worked there there would only be a dedicated status and everyone would be granted the status. I personally don't see any issue with having loads of guns and ammo. If you have one you can have more

and i can promise it wouldn't take months for an application.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast