Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: changing from an occasional license to dedicated

thank guys. going to leave them on 15 and apply for 16 next time around

furpile - the guy from narfo i spoke to said the similar. He feels the person becomes dedicated but saps don't always see it like that and not all shops are willing to sell more than 200 rounds if the license if 15.

Banned

1. The body that granted you dedicated status will notify SAPS annually that your status is up to date when you have conformed to their criteria to retain your status.
    2. Get a card or certificate indicating your dedicated status and carry it with you when buying ammo.
    3. Dedicated status is not just about the 200 round limit, but makes it possible to buy more than 4 firearms. It does however mean that you have to perform certain exercises or tasks to retain that status - you have to show your dedication to hunting or the sport you partake in.

I had this discussion with a gun shop. Apparently there was an email sent out from provincial CFR to all the gun shops stating that only section 16 licences can purchase more than 200 rounds. Further to this, the guy said that the DFO actually checks the book for amount of rounds purchased and on section of license.

Quote Originally Posted by furpile View Post
    If you have Dedicated sport shooter status the 200 round limit no longer applies. This is not linked to which section your firearm is licensed on. However, some gun shops refuse to sell more than 200 rounds if you do not have a S16 license for the caliber. Check with your local shop to see what their policy is.

that's how I understood it as well Joshuaw. Pity

User

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaW View Post
    I had this discussion with a gun shop. Apparently there was an email sent out from provincial CFR to all the gun shops stating that only section 16 licences can purchase more than 200 rounds. Further to this, the guy said that the DFO actually checks the book for amount of rounds purchased and on section of license.
    Weird,
    because I have bought ammo a few times with no book
    I've also NEVER had a safe inspection for any of my licenses, or even when I moved

I doubt fully that the DFO's have the man power let alone the enthusiasm to check every dealers books

Also my DFO says carrying sect 16 isn't legal, so I don't think he would be useful anyways

User

Unless its because I bought it for range use and they filled it in? I dunno

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2