Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why Don't Importers/Dealers Stock Spares And Accessories For The Guns They Import

So following on from this thread https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...481-Taurus-TH9

So as the thread title states, why is it that importers/dealers don't stock spare parts or accessories for some guns they stock on their shelves?

Wouldn't it be better to just have less brands and rather then stock up on spares and accessories for the brands you do have. We're not a huge market in SA and unlike the US we can't have every brand on the shelf.

Surely those that are available should be backed up.

If you're going to sell a cheaper brand to attract sales surely you should provide support so that they don't then sit on the shelves when people find out that they have no spares to fix a broken gun. That is money lost.

Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe people just want a quick sale to make a quick buck and really don't care what happens after the gun leaves their store.

User

Default Re: Why Don't Importers/Dealers Stock Spares And Accessories For The Guns They Import

A lot of shops will push certain brands because they are cheap and they can swing a lot of stock. And they don't care if you can find spares for it when something needs to be replaced. I got a friend who bought a taurus because it was cheap and had decent youtube reviews. And according to him most South African shooters don't know what they are talking about. And the shop told him spares are very easy to find. I told him to buy a glock or CZ due to support but he didn't want to listen, but then again he carry's the pistol AIWB in a R100 floppy neoprene holster. But people like that usually don't shoot enough to replace springs or needs spares. So they wont really find out how bad the support is.

Default Re: Why Don't Importers/Dealers Stock Spares And Accessories For The Guns They Import

Some brands are very well supported by some of their importers.

Other importers could not give a shit or will tell you that what they import does not break.

At least one of the big pistol manufacturers was puzzled by the request for spares from their one time importer here. They had to hurriedly put together service packs from guns in stock and stick them in baggies.

Realistically the buyer of a shitty pistol from a shitty brand is probably not going to shoot it enough for it to break so it probably does not make financial sense to keep spares.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

If only they eralised the amount of business in spares and upgrades....

Interesting thanks, yeah it makes sense that some people don't use their gun enough for spares to become an issue so they can sell enough to the uninformed for it to make financial sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Interesting thanks, yeah it makes sense that some people don't use their gun enough for spares to become an issue so they can sell enough to the uninformed for it to make financial sense.
    The other issue is that some dealers and importers have no clue what spares to keep and what service parts are necessary.

Some manufacturers, big name, high end ones, don't even have service schedules.
    Havamal

User

Some sell on price,others build brands.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Sadly most things are going that way. You will wait for parts for a Cars and home appliances etc
    live out your imagination , not your history.

I was lucky then I guess when I first bought my SD gun. I knew pretty well zip about guns but I knew the name Glock and that it had a good reputation so I asked the salesman about pretty much only that and was prepared to pay what seemed like, a not outrageous, but high price. It was for EDC so they recommended the G19 over the G17. Got lucky and realised later on once I had a bit more experience that I got exactly what I needed so I was very happy, no need to sell and repurchase or any of that nonsense. Guess I should've consulted Gunsite first! But I think I would've got the same advice

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    But I think I would've got the same advice
    Nah dude, you have it the wrong way around.

You are supposed to buy first then ask for "advice" confirming your choice on GS by being an askhole.
    Havamal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast