Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Knife fighting training

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    I benefited hugely from Mark Human. He trains all over. I think Rob also is into similar training.
    Arno Barlow would teach you real life skills without bullshit.

P2W is very well equipped to advise as he trained with Kelly McCann and long into this.

Barry Gordon from Sharpshooter may also be a wealth of info on who to train with.
    Thanks squire. Appreciate the advice.

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    OK. So what if you can't run? Maybe you're cornered, have a bad knee, or have little kids with you... Maybe then having done a course will stand you in better stead that saying its all fantasy. This defeatist attitude is no different than the guys who say you only need 5 rounds cos if you need more than that you're in deep shit
    I never touched on those scenarios, but you're correct! a little training would be helpful if you were cornered or had to protect someone.
    But you will be hurt, probably badly. And there's nothing defeatist about running away from someone who wants to stab you!

It would probably be better to improve your situational awareness, so you can avoid being put in a position where a fight is the only option?

User

Good situational awareness is always first prize. Sadly we as humans are fallable, and even if we try our best most of the time, there will always be those times where we are sub optimal. Remember the bad guy chooses the time and place, not you, and they are looking for those little windows.

To be clear, I'm not saying running away is defeatist. I have absolutely run away from attackers before. What I am saying is that resigning yourself to inevitable serious injury or death if you do end up in a fight with knives is a mindset fail. Realistically you could definitely get cut, but the difference in odds between someone with no training, and someone with even a little bit of quality training can be quite significant

User

I agree with you largely.
    But it's worth realising that if you engage in a 'knife fight', you will, in all probability get injured, to think you won't is just as dangerous to the outcome, in my opinion.
    The knowledge that you will probably be injured, should therefore be taken into consideration seriously, which in turn should colour the decision to engage or not.

I agree about being put into a corner, it really is down to who is quicker and more effective, and in that respect, training wins..... if you can keep your head with all that adrenalin rushing around in it!

User

I've only got one relevant real life experience with knife fighting and thankfully it was through proximity and not participation.

I was in the army with some guys from the Cape Flats who had knife fighting experience and scar collections to match. They had a saying, 'vriende sny en vyande steek' which I thought was a joke till I went drinking with them at a shebeen in Eesterus and shit went south. There was a lot of blood very quickly.

No-one died and a week or two later they invited me to go to the shebeen again, possibly mistaking the fact I hadn't shat my pants and run away screaming, for courage rather than intoxication. It was clear that the slices that had been exchanged were not considered relationship ending which nearly did my head in.

A few months later one of these guys got stabbed in the heart by a friend, who had been in the shebeen fight on his side, over a debt. It was a sigle strike delivered from concealment.

From that I learned there are people who know how to use knives and that their experience is most likely hard earned. Learning to get knifed and keeping your head is not something you get from a skills course any more than learning to shoot equips you to deal with getting shot.

This is not to say one shouldn't get training, just that it's worth retaining a bit of humility until you know what you don't.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

User

I work in the criminal justice cluster. We see our fair share of township and shebeen stabbings. The masters of this in our area are the okes from Reigerpark. Lock down saw a reduction in the strain being placed on the legal and health system in dealing with the aftermath of incidents.

The ability to be handy with a knife is seen as a right of passage.

I'm definitely not going to introduce another knife into a knife fight if confronted by one of these okes. I'll draw my gun thanks very much. Followed by a BUG before reaching for a knife.

That said, I need to get some fundamental knife training for use as last resort option.

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4