Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Budget Fullsize .22 Pistol

Hi all,

Looking for a Full- size .22LR pistons that has full controls and safety's to use to put lots of round down range..

Not looking for anything new, so a older handgun, anyone have any suggestions on models or make I should be looking at that would be available in our market.

Thanks

Default Re: Budget Fullsize .22 Pistol

The old Browning Gold triggers are incredibly accurate and reliable.
    They look like match pistols with contoured grips.

So if you wanted something looking more like normal pistol I guess they wont work.

User

Can't go wrong with a Ruger Mk1, to Mk5 .22 pistol. Spares and mags can still be found. I have a bull barrel Mk1, has thousands of rounds through it and still going strong.

User

I have two Ruger MKII's and am very happy with the model. Of the models, MK I, II and MK IIIs, the MKII's
    are the best. Primarily due to the bolt open device which the MK I lacks. I would avoid a MK III as the magazine safety makes assembly totally confusing. The loaded chamber indicator may be unsafe, in early models, and may cause stove piping. The best thing to do with a MKIII is buy the Volquartsen parts and convert it back to a MKII.

Difficult assembly is to be expected with the MK I through MKIII. Basically the the hammer strut is a blind assembly, you must get it to align with the mainspring plunger, and that is troublesome and difficult since you can't see if the parts got out of alignment. Which they do. It always takes me several tries.

And then, removing the upper from the lower, the attachment point is blind, and you have to remember which direction to drive off the upper. There are those who claim they always get the hammer strut alignment right on the first try, and remember perfectly which direction to knock the upper, and I can say, lucky them.

However, these pistols are very tolerant of dirt. I have seen shooters with Ruger MKIII's totally caked in powder residue and wax, and the things went bang. It turns out, few shooters do field stripping and cleaning, they basically just wipe the outsides off and put them away! One shooter whose MkIII was filthy/dirty claimed he had fired 300,000 rounds through the thing (cleaning occasionally) and had not replaced a part. The Ruger pistol has been developed to a very reliable semi auto.

I have a couple of friends with Ruger MK IV's, and that pistol was redesigned to make disassembly and assembly easy. Those friends love their MK IV's.

One of the characteristics to the good function reliability of Ruger MK 1 through MKIV's are the well built, stout magazines. I have handled vintage target pistol magazines, such as the High Standard Victor, and the magazines are thin, spread easy, and crazy expensive to replace.

I am using my stainless MKII in Bullseye competition, I installed a Volquartsen trigger, it has an adjustable over travel, which turns out to be very important in precision shooting. The pistol will hold the ten ring, probably the X ring at 50 yards if I used match ammunition, but there is no need to waste good money, on expensive ammunition, when at best, I can only hold the black.

This is before the Volquartsen trigger was added

This one I purchased second hand, shoots great.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc05 View Post
    Can't go wrong with a Ruger Mk1, to Mk5 .22 pistol. Spares and mags can still be found. I have a bull barrel Mk1, has thousands of rounds through it and still going strong.
    I believe you mean Mark IV. No V yet. I have the Mark IV Target. And its trigger out of box is crap to S..., As they brought in Mag Safety feature which increase trigger pull. But after a Volquartzen trigger kit its brilliant.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    The old Browning Gold triggers are incredibly accurate and reliable.
    They look like match pistols with contoured grips.

So if you wanted something looking more like normal pistol I guess they wont work.
    My vote would also go with the Browning. They do actually come with a variety of different grips, barrel weights & lengths although I agree with shooty that most of those we see here in SA seem to have a 6 inch heavy barrel and contoured grips.

Check out the Classic Arms auctions. They often come up there.

Having said all that, the Rugers would also be a good choice.

User

I have 2 Ruger pistols, a Standard (pre-Mk1) and a Mk11. Both are more accurate than I can hold. Reliability is mostly ammo-dependant. Missfires from flaws in the priming compound are the most common stoppages. An occasionally cleaned chamber seems to sort out the rest. The old Mk1 mags are finicky, but the Mk11 versions are great. Mags are occasionally available for various gunshops.

A few of my friends shoot Brownings. They are great guns as well and there is nothing bad I can say about them. Accurate, reliable and durable. Spare mags may be difficult to source locally.

Banned

Does anyone have experience with the GSG pistols?

They are designed to look like known pistols, but for rimfire.

User

I was in the market for one a while back; unfortunately they are no longer available in SA. The closest I got was to handle one at a gun store, it wasn't for sale though as the owner uses it for proficiency training. He says it's given him good service.

User

I ended up getting a Chiappa 1911-22 Target

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast