Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Martini Enfield mk2 .303

I also have a Mk II Pattern Martini Henry marked to the Cape Government. I have no doubt that at the outbreak of the Boer War these rifles were still on issue, but at that time the Cape was starting to rearm with Long Lees. It appears that the Cape Martini Henrys were first introduced in the 1880s.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrylee View Post
    The Mk II Martini Enfield is a fairly uncommon rifle in South Africa and research indicates that only the Mk I was issued to the Natal Volunteers shortly prior to the Boer War. These remained with the regular regiments until the Magazine Lee Enfield was issued post Boer War. I have found no evidence that the Cape ever used Martini Enfield Rifles, but like Natal, ME Carbines were issued.

Both the Natal and Cape Martini Enfields bear very distinctive military markings and examination of Australian military rifles indicates a similar practice. I thus very strongly suspect that any Martini Enfield Mk II Rifle found in South Africa without such markings was imported commercially as military surplus.

I attach photos of The Martini Enfield Mk I & II with their model markings. Top, Mk I.

Attachment 32218

Attachment 32219Attachment 32220
    Thank you that do make sense. Have you checked yours serial numbers do the block action and lever serials match?

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk

User

Sorry, have only recorded the barrel numbers, and following initial cleaning prefer not to disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by Terrylee View Post
    Sorry, have only recorded the barrel numbers, and following initial cleaning prefer not to disassemble!
    I can understand why they do not put back together very easy. Well to hook the bock in is a real pain. Mine does not match aswell as the barrel bands was inspected by someone els think they might have put these guns together when they were converted maby. Does yours have a hole cut in for the cleaning rod?

The OP's Martini has War Office Sold Out Of Service markings (opposed Broad Arrows) on both action and barrel. So it was not "left here" at any time, but officially disposed of, almost certainly in the UK.

Peter

User

[QUOTE=lbarnard121;1386018] Does yours have a hole cut in for the cleaning rod?

Yes, mine still has the clearing rod groove which will accept a rod. However, the rod remains loose since there is no internal thread to hold it fast. If I remember correctly, the rods were done away with in 1899.

Im still looking for a Martini Henry MK 2 cleaning rod.

Quote Originally Posted by High Power View Post
    The OP's Martini has War Office Sold Out Of Service markings (opposed Broad Arrows) on both action and barrel. So it was not "left here" at any time, but officially disposed of, almost certainly in the UK.

Peter
    Thank you did not think of it like that. It do make sense.

[QUOTE=Terrylee;1386022]
    Quote Originally Posted by lbarnard121 View Post
    Does yours have a hole cut in for the cleaning rod?

Yes, mine still has the clearing rod groove which will accept a rod. However, the rod remains loose since there is no internal thread to hold it fast. If I remember correctly, the rods were done away with in 1899.
    Yes you are correct was just wondering if other rifles also had that groove cut in. I was really surprised by how accurate these guns are

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2