Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Martini Enfield mk2 .303

Good day everyone I was pondering if someone here might have more info on the 1900 Martini Enfield Mk2 rifles. I can't seem to find out if mine was imported or maybe left here after the boer war. It does not seem to have markings indicating it is an Natal rifle but it does have an wooden hand guard but from what I can find out is the mk2 had this as standard . Hope there is someone that can assist

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk
    Attachment 32214

User

Default Re: Martini Enfield mk2 .303

If I can make a suggestion, the people in the know can usually help much better if you include photos of the rifle and any marking it may have.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
    If I can make a suggestion, the people in the know can usually help much better if you include photos of the rifle and any marking it may have.
    Thank you will upload some did not think of that

Quote Originally Posted by lbarnard121 View Post
    Thank you will upload some did not think of that

These guys have a vast amount of knowledge:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Check out Niel Aspenshaws website on the Martini. It has a wealth of info.

Just going to throw this out there; you looking to sell it?
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Also try this site for anything with permutations of "Martini", "Lee", "Enfield", "Metford" etc in the name: https://www.rifleman.org.uk/

Although now that I look at it, everything else is there but there's barely a mention of that particular permutation ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Check out Niel Aspenshaws website on the Martini. It has a wealth of info.

Just going to throw this out there; you looking to sell it?
    I have checked his website but on the 303 they only have the carbines.

Haha no I am not interested in selling it. It was given to me so would not like to disappoint the person that gave it to me

User

The Mk II Martini Enfield is a fairly uncommon rifle in South Africa and research indicates that only the Mk I was issued to the Natal Volunteers shortly prior to the Boer War. These remained with the regular regiments until the Magazine Lee Enfield was issued post Boer War. I have found no evidence that the Cape ever used Martini Enfield Rifles, but like Natal, ME Carbines were issued.

Both the Natal and Cape Martini Enfields bear very distinctive military markings and examination of Australian military rifles indicates a similar practice. I thus very strongly suspect that any Martini Enfield Mk II Rifle found in South Africa without such markings was imported commercially as military surplus.

I attach photos of The Martini Enfield Mk I & II with their model markings. Top, Mk I.

Attachment 32218

Attachment 32219Attachment 32220

User

Quote Originally Posted by lbarnard121 View Post
    I have checked his website but on the 303 they only have the carbines.

Haha no I am not interested in selling it. It was given to me so would not like to disappoint the person that gave it to me

Touché 😬

User

Quote Originally Posted by Terrylee View Post
    The Mk II Martini Enfield is a fairly uncommon rifle in South Africa and research indicates that only the Mk I was issued to the Natal Volunteers shortly prior to the Boer War. These remained with the regular regiments until the Magazine Lee Enfield was issued post Boer War. I have found no evidence that the Cape ever used Martini Enfield Rifles, but like Natal, ME Carbines were issued.

Both the Natal and Cape Martini Enfields bear very distinctive military markings and examination of Australian military rifles indicates a similar practice. I thus very strongly suspect that any Martini Enfield Mk II Rifle found in South Africa without such markings was imported commercially as military surplus.

I attach photos of The Martini Enfield Mk I & II with their model markings. Top, Mk I.

Attachment 32218

Attachment 32219Attachment 32220
    Hi Terry. I have a MK1 Martini Henry Rifle, made by Enfield in 1874, in 577/450. It’s been upgraded to MkII specs and carries 2nd class stamps with Cape Government markings. The story I was told is there were issued around the Cape just before or during the start of the Boer War to reserve forces. If you like I’ll send you some pics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast