User

Default Identify Silencer

Received this with a recent rifle acquisition.

The only information that the previous owner could provide was that it was bought from a shop in Pretoria.

It is a reflex design for 30 cal use.

Any idea what make it could be?

20200919_161158.jpg20200919_161255.jpg20200919_161314.jpg

User

Default Re: Identify Silencer

The shop in Pretoria had (like so many G/shops) a bloke on their books that had a lathe and some other fitting turning machinery, he made silencers.
    You have a silencer made by some "oke" that knew how to use fitting turning machinery and put the results together as what is known as a "Can", like a coke can.

It may or may not be efficient at its intended purpose.

These items usually do not have names, but some times have a cell number if you ask nicely.

User

I bought one from a "guy with a lathe". Most useless piece of crap ever, made no difference whether it was on or off. Same level of noise. R3k wasted. Was also a reflex silencer.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    I bought one from a "guy with a lathe". Most useless piece of crap ever, made no difference whether it was on or off. Same level of noise. R3k wasted. Was also a reflex silencer.
    Precisely why I say, if you want to buy a decent can, expect to pay half the price of your rifle for it. Same applies to optics. Buy once, cry once.

User

Maybe check with ARMS. They had a similar looking can a while back. When it comes to suppressors , most South African manufacturers still have a long way to go , specifically weight/performance ratio.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Maybe check with ARMS. They had a similar looking can a while back. When it comes to suppressors , most South African manufacturers still have a long way to go , specifically weight/performance ratio.
    Thanks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Precisely why I say, if you want to buy a decent can, expect to pay half the price of your rifle for it. Same applies to optics. Buy once, cry once.
    Not necessarily always the case.

The 2 I have fitted work quite well, not a name brand but rather designed and built by my smith in Bloemfontein.
    They are a pleasure on the ears, not dead quiet but with standard ammo loads (ie not subsonics) the percussion in the eardrum is non existent.

There is no brand or logo, no contact number, only the rifles serial number and calibre is stamped on the back of the silencer.
    Looking at it there is no idea who makes them, you either know that he makes or not...

They are a steel construction, blued finish and not exceptionally heavy.
    Pricing wasn't bad either, the more recent (2018 sometime) one cost around 2.5 or 3k and included barrel threading as well as a barrel thread protector for when not fitted.

As a site note, his shop isn't a "guy with a lathe" or "someone on the database" type of setup.
    It is an old school workshop with artisans at work on various tasks from stocks to complete builds.