Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Range Finder Binoculars

Hi to all.

Own a few pairs of really great Swarovski binoculars and a Zeis range finder monocular which is awesome.

However, now looking for a 2 in 1 combo - combined range finder binocular - say 10 x 42.

Who uses what, any tips and pointers appreciated.

Cheers.

User

Default Re: Range Finder Binoculars

https://www.bushnell.com/binoculars/...BU-202310.html

I've had the pleasure of looking through something like these before. Pretty decent, but pricey!

User

I use the Kahles Helia 10x42RF.
    Can't hunt without them now
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

I bought a Bushnell Fusion 1 Mile ARC 12x50 about 6 years ago. They were still around R12k back then. I'm very, very happy with them. I do notice that Bushnell doesn't have the premium glass that say Leica or Swarofski do (Some of my hunting buddies have those) but for the intended purpose it works perfectly.

On as side note, even though Bushnell claim 1 mile (1600m) range capabilities anything short of a 10m x 10m mirror will be almost impossible to range at that distance.

User

I use the Vortex Fury and they are fantastic as a range finder and as binoculars! Great glass.
    To get ranges over 2000m, they need to be extremely stable.

After using them for a few seasons, i have the following comments...
    1.) They are heavy. A pair of quality binoculars (10x42) and a range finder combined are lighter than the 2-in-1.

2.) The rangefinder bino’s need two hands to operate them. It’s cumbersome to hold rifle and try range at the same time.

3.) Depending on the brand, the placement of the range button makes for specific hand use. A single rangefinder can be used by either hand.

If I had to buy again, I don’t think I would by the 2-in-1 bino’s again for hunting.
    If I was guiding/a PH I wouldn’t hesitate to own a pair. They are amazing when helping out your mates, glassing and giving ranges.

I do think that a rangefinder is probably one of the most underrated hunting aid and all hunters should carry one.
    They are cheap, if you compare them to the cost of a wounded and lost animal. Since owning one, my hunting and shooting has improved significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I have had the pleasure of playing with a Leica Geovid RF binocular in the field. It is an incredible piece of equipment and I have desired one ever since. I guess there are others that are similar or maybe better, but I have no experience with them.

Having said that, I fully agree with Woodsie's observations. For someone acting as a guide or spotter, the RF bino's are great. If hunting alone, and carrying a rifle, they are a burden. The compact monocular-style RF's are very convenient, lightweight, compact and out of the way. I like the various Leica models, but obviously there are others that are as good or maybe better.

Banned

THEY ARE HEAVY _ VERY HEAVY at 04:00, at 07:00 they are even heavier. The pair I used put on at least 4 kg in weight during course of walk and stalk hunting day. I would estimate they put on about 200 gr per km in the bush.

They were the most awesome things possible on the bakkie and when sitting at a wait and see spot, but man they ate me later in the day. They may be lighter now (I used them 2006 about).

User

I carry a light pair of binos, 10x25 and small rangefinder on my belt. I have not had issues with weight etc. I just find the small hand held rangefinder very difficult to hold steady on a spot on the plains. To range springbok at 300m is like trying to hunt with a .38 snubby. I just can't hold it steady enough and on the right spot. I guess that's where I see the joy of a range finder scope. Much easier to point on target to range. I imagine 2 in 1 binos are somewhere in-between.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    I carry a light pair of binos, 10x25 and small rangefinder on my belt. I have not had issues with weight etc. I just find the small hand held rangefinder very difficult to hold steady on a spot on the plains. To range springbok at 300m is like trying to hunt with a .38 snubby. I just can't hold it steady enough and on the right spot. I guess that's where I see the joy of a range finder scope. Much easier to point on target to range. I imagine 2 in 1 binos are somewhere in-between.
    If you shooting at 300 m I assume you using shooting sticks, use them to steady range finder, it may upset some, but I usually put my rifle stock down and rest range finder on the suppressor flat end, works a charm for steadying at longer ranges.
    No its not unsafe, I know my rifle status and will check it if uncertain, open your bolt if it worries you.
    I use the tools I have.

User

I use a Leica Geovid 10x42, it is an excellent piece of kit, if hideously expensive. I got it second hand and have been using it, virtually, daily for the past 2 years with absolutely no problems. When ranging small animals at long range, I steady it on my shooting sticks and have no problem ranging springbok out to 600m.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast