Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Need a rimfire and ideas?

Good day all.

I am in the market for a precision/target .22LR. I would mainly use it for my shooting at our local shooting days to keep my dedicated statuses.

I have looked at the CZs for a start because I want something that's accurate and would give some sort of grouping up to 75m where we shoot A4 sized animal targets.

I have also looked at the savage mark 2 but I hear people complaining about them and extraction so I am not to sure. Are there any other options out there?
    And does anyone have bad comments regarding the cz455 models?

Default Re: Need a rimfire and ideas?

Between CZ and Savage. CZ all the way.

I had the CZ 455. And it is very very accurate and nice to shoot. I did fit the YoDave springs in it. Which makes it even better to shoot. And increases shooter accuracy.

I however bought a Sako85 222rem and was so impressed with it. I ordered a 22lr Quad. However the 455 to me is still nicer then the quad. I have ordered YoDave springs for Quad.

The only thing I believe better then the 455 might be the new 457.

The CZ 22lr has almost legendary status. For the price, build and availability there is nothing that comes close. An Anschutz may be slightly more accurate but at twice the price.

a buddy of mine is picking up an anschutz 22 with a scope and silencer for under 3k... ok it is from family.

The CZ has nothing but great reviews from what I've seen all over

User

CZ 455 or 457. Many models to choose from. Reliable, very accurate, affordable. Aftermarket stock options if you inclined that way.

User

Ruger all the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Pawin View Post
    Ruger all the way...
    Maybe Ruger 22lr Pistol. And then the Mark IV has crap trigger. You have to replace it.

User

The CZ heavy barreled rifles should be about perfect for the job. The 455 in it's various configurations is a great rifle capable of excellent accuracy. I expect much of the same from the newer 457 rifles, but the price will be higher.

User

Thanks for your input. I will start looking for one and see what pops up.
    Let me know if someone sees something

User

I've come to realise that there are huge advantages in going with a firearm that is already popular.

eg for Glock there is a wide variety of holsters, magazines and OEM or aftermarket accessories available. Every gun shop has Glock stuff on the shelves so it's easy to get. Some people may argue that pistol XYZ is "better", and they might even be correct but if you want a holster or extra magazine for it you might wait months or even years and it will be more expensive than a Glock.

Similarly, if one wants a centrefire rifle, I would recommend buying something like a Howa or Remington or Tikka. Maybe a Sako or a Blaser is "better" than any of those 3 until you decide you want fit an aftermarket GRS stock or a chassis or a detachable magazine kit and start asking around to see who has stock or if there's a second-hand one available anywhere..............

The CZ45X series of .22's are popular, available everywhere and spare magazines, scope mounts, aftermarket stocks and even chassis systems are available for them. To use the example of Anschutz quoted above, they might be bit more accurate than a CZ (assuming one has the skill to take advantage of that accuracy), but that won't help much when you lose your magazine and need a replacement before next week's competition....

I love my Mauser .22 and over the years I've built up a collection of spare mags, scope mounts/rings but if I was starting from scratch right now I would definitely go with a CZ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast