Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Crossbow for hunting?

Hi

Does anybody here use a crossbow for hunting?

I am keen to hear about your experiences and would appreciate some guidance, what to look for, where to buy and what to avoid.

I am wondering whether this would not be a good solution for hunting baited bushpigs from a tree stand.

Thanks in advance
    Sweet

Default Re: Crossbow for hunting?

If you can get your hands on a Excalibur you won't go wrong.

They are tough as nails. They are the only bow that you can "fix in the field". If a string breaks you can put one on yourself in minutes in the field, no need to go to a shop to have it restrung as with a compound bow.

Compound bows are nice but for me there are just too many working parts and delicate (drop it from a stand and something might give, drop an Excalibur and it will keep on going) and if something goes wrong it's back to the shop to have it fixed. With an Excalibur you just do it yourself.

I haven't used mine in a while but will be heading out to a friends farm soon to do some hunting.

I bought mine ages ago from overseas and some accessories from a shop in Gauteng that I think is now closed.

Excalibur's new range of bows are quite impressive, but I wouldn't go for the fastest as the draw weight would be quite heavy, but if that doesn't bother you (most also use a cocking aid anyway) then by all means. The top of the range have a TD feature which stands for "Take Down" and allows you to twist the limbs off when finished for easier storage, not something I'm willing to pay for.

Try one of their midrange models that are like half the price and yet also have a decent FPS.

I found a decent priced bow on one of the classified websites (junkmail or OLX) and would have bought it in a heartbeat if I didn't already have a bow. It was the new range as well. Here's one https://www.olx.co.za/item/crossbow-...iid-1063468031

Compare the prices on their website https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/crossbows/

Excaliburs are a little more pricey than some bows but they are as tough as they come and last.

The only downside is local support. You will probably have to import for the newer models so do it in one go if you can, there are many shops to choose from, the Canadian dollar is weaker than the US so buying from them might be wiser but you might have to use a freight forwarding company like Aramex as some don't ship to SA.

Happy hunting.

Oh yeah, try their forums for some tips on what to get if you go for an Excalibur, they are a friendly bunch. https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/

Thanks Soldierman!

If you do buy from an overseas shop make sure you install Honey on your browser. It goes through many coupons before checkout and chooses the best one for you. https://www.joinhoney.com/

User

Sweet, I take it your'e an old (many years experience) hunter. Go and search pros vs cons of Bows and Crossbows and everything about archery. W&S hunting with the Crossbow is very difficult, but for shooting from a hide perhaps better than a bow.The first time you shoot a crossbow everyone says "Wow, great". After a few shots and days you miss the bang, recoil and range of a rifle. Crossbow hunting fits in a very small "Nice" range and not for everyone. I own both and think the Bow is much more versatile.

I you want sent me a pm with your email and I can send some archery courses and info wrt to hunting with Bows and Crossbows.

Banned

I tried a Cross Bow and found it to be disappointing in every way, it was really a "no where" item.
    It had all the negatives and only one positive, it was more powerful than a bow.
    Forget about walking with it, it will irritate you to destruction.

I found it a great idea, a big deal to look at and just plain shitty in every other way.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I tried a Cross Bow and found it to be disappointing in every way, it was really a "no where" item.
    It had all the negatives and only one positive, it was more powerful than a bow.
    Forget about walking with it, it will irritate you to destruction.

I found it a great idea, a big deal to look at and just plain shitty in every other way.
    Only ream men can walk with crossbows

Thanks for all the input guys.

As per my OP, I am thinking of this as a potential "solution for hunting baited bushpigs from a tree stand", so a pretty defined application that does not include Walk&Stalk - I have a Ruger SBH for that :) - but I do take all your input on board.

CHeers
    Sweet

User

Just buy it and find out for yourself!

At least you won't have to wait 150 working days for a licence like you would if it was a new gun......... ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast