Default Temporary Import Handgun for Hunting, can it be carried?

This is something I have debating a friend in the states and havent been able to come up with a conclusion.

Are foreigners allowed to import a handgun for hunting? If so, would they be allowed to carry that firearm, in the same way that a handgun licensed for sport shooting or hunting in South Africa can be carried by a South African Citezen?

According to the FCA, a firearm can be used for any legal purpose so long the person has the necessary license, permit or authorization to be in possession of the firearm.

The FCA says about temporary import permits: "The Registrar may impose such conditions in respect of the possession and use of the relevant firearm or ammunition as may be prescribed, and must, on the permit in question, specify any conditions imposed"

It is also says: "A permit for the import of a firearm or ammunition also constitutes a licence to possess such firearm or ammunition for such person and period as the Registrar may specify on the permit."

Would these conditions restrict the holder from carrying the firearm?

Can anyone help me clarify this, with sources if possible.

Thanks guys,

Ced

Banned

Default Re: Temporary Import Handgun for Hunting, can it be carried?

The other basic principles of the FCA are that the firearm must be either locked away or under your supervision. If he does not have access to a safe he must have it under his supervision. I would say he may carry it, but please consult with a knowledgeable lawyer.

Banned

You got an answer under the other post that a handgun for self defense could not be brought in when hunting. A hunting handgun will not be accepted as a carry gun.

If the person imports a handgun to be used for sporting purposes I doubt that he will be allowed to carry that for self defense, except if he can get that consent from the CFR.

User

I suppose it will be in the wording on the S21 permit. They can restrict the use of the firearm on the permit. Keep in mind that a S21 permit is not a firearm license which would normally fall under a specific section ie S13, or S15 for instance.

User

Quote Originally Posted by cedricjv View Post
    According to the FCA, a firearm can be used for any legal purpose so long the person has the necessary license, permit or authorization to be in possession of the firearm.

The FCA says about temporary import permits: "The Registrar may impose such conditions in respect of the possession and use of the relevant firearm or ammunition as may be prescribed, and must, on the permit in question, specify any conditions imposed"
    Careful here, that "any legal purpose" is only found in some license sections, not in all, and not alone, which means it is specific.

The rest of S21 implies that how and where the gun may be used depends on conditions imposed by the registrar. There is of course 'defense of necessity' surrounding anything to do with protecting life.

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    If the person imports a handgun to be used for sporting purposes I doubt that he will be allowed to carry that for self defense, except if he can get that consent from the CFR.
    The FCA doesn't specify what you may carry any gun 'for'. Transport of a firearm is described in its own section and it not specific to license type or intended use, only the type of gun. A person with an S21 must transport and store their gun as per the FCA, which says transport of a pistol in a holster, bag etc designed or adapted for the carrying of a pistol is legal.