Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default How Many Rounds Before Doing Damage To Your Barrel

So I'm heading out to a friends farm and we will both be shooting my Glock 19 Gen 4. He is going to be getting his own gun soon so is using mine to get in some practice.

Anyway, my question is, how many rounds can you safely shoot until the barrel heats up too much to the point at which you can actually do some damage to the barrel?

Anyone got a specific round count, or does one just make your way through the day and feel the barrel as you go.

I've never really gone beyond 200 rounds a session and I didn't even take the barrel into consideration then.

It's for this reason that I am also getting an additional handgun so that I don't put all this extra wear and tear on my EDC.

Thanks

User

Default Re: How Many Rounds Before Doing Damage To Your Barrel

This probably doesn't answer your question directly, but I found the vid interesting, in spite of the blatant abuse to the poor FA:

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

I really don’t think any of us have the $$$ to actually get that done with recreational shooting in a day, also it’s not like your handgun will go cyclic and mag dump a 200 round belt...

Don’t worry shoot and enjoy but good idea on getting a second handgun in any event.

Thanks guys, will give the vid a watch and will just feel the barrel on occasion to check. Doubt we will get it hot enough to damage, but we will be shooting a lot on the day so thought I would ask. I've watched AK torture tests and it got me wondering about Glock barrels.

Another question that I have wondered about - how many rounds can a barrel take before it should be retired, before it starts to affect accuracy, etc.?

Yeah after watching that video I don't think we will come close to doing damage to the barrel.

At about 80-100k rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    At about 80-100k rounds.
    I put about that through my first 17. I shot it for a while after it failed on the armourers guage. I used to have to load bullets sized. 357 to get it to group.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    I put about that through my first 17. I shot it for a while after it failed on the armourers guage. I used to have to load bullets sized. 357 to get it to group.
    Got to wonder if that is because it is a polygonal barrel. Would conventional lands and grooves outlast that. Some handguns have really proud and wide lands that with lead would take a long time to wear down.

User

There have been a few Glocks that exceeded 300 000 rounds with the original barrel, slide and frame. Of course springs and pins did get replaced on schedule.

A few serious sport shooters shoot 1000 rounds and more on a Saturday (or Sunday) pretty regularly. Heat is seldom an issue.

Some ammo may cause more wear than others, cast lead being the least abrasive (if not contaminated).

I would not worry about it, but rather focus on using the ammo to build specific skills rather than just converting money to noise.

The 300 000 round story is likely a myth. The pistol training glock 17 went just over 71 000 rounds. None of the Glocks at Battlefield Vegas seem to go over a 100 000 if not less.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast