Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Value on Colt M1911A1

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Just the fiber optic sight alone shouts IPSC, but probably saw its use when it was still called combat shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There were no fiber optic sights around in those days but everything else (back sight, beavertail and all the Pachmayr bits) points to the work being done a long time ago.

User

All eagle eyed group members. In actually enjoying the post mortem being done. Lol.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

User

Gun is a 1943 1911A1 Military according to the Colt Serial Number Lookup.

I'll be that one that says it looks in decent condition externally. No it's not a collectors piece (and tbh 99% of old Colt Govt Models in SA aren't, as they have had work done somewhere along the line).

From the images it appears to not have the usual frame cracks on old 1911's at the rear of the dust cover where the Horizontal Impact Surface begins, these cracks are usually more of an eye sore than a problem, and it also doesn't appear to have any cracks under the slide stop area, which is also more of an eye sore than a real issue structurally.

It has definatley been refinished along the way as it looks like it was buffed badly and then blued, this would have been a parkerized gun.

IMO if lockup is still tight (and no i don't mean slide to frame fit), and the rifling is still ok the gun should be a good enough shooter.
    I would say if you want to buy it cause A you like it, and B you want to shoot it then go for it if nothing looks really out of place internally.

If you want it as a collectors piece pass on it, there isn't any real value as a collectors item.

As a side note, if you want to buy it to tinker with. Be warned it is expensive. I bought a 1943 Framed gun, with a Springfield Slide to build into a sport gun as it had previously been nickel plated... I have spent north of 15k on it so far. I haven't even gotten to finishing the actual frame of the gun, that is only the slide, internals and some other parts.

I won't even go into how much my 9mmP Norinco 1911 has cost so far...

If you want a Colt. For its value. It needs to be stock standard and original. To give it value.
    The moment you do extras on it. Your removing the Value of an original Colt.

Yes your adding parts value. But on same time taking away from the original Colt value which is a higher Value.

The moment there is after market stuff on. It just becomes a normal standard every day shooter like the rest.

Standard and Original is where the Value is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    I would pass. Someone has really gone to town with a buffing wheel. Who knows what other damage is inside.
    How do you know it has been buffed "really gone to town with a buffing wheel"

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    How do you know it has been buffed "really gone to town with a buffing wheel"
    All the edges that are supposed to be sharp are now rounded.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    All the edges that are supposed to be sharp are now rounded.
    and I thought that was "well finished", GOOD WORKMANSHIP, no machining marks, sharp edges.

There is clever and then thinking you clever.

User

That pistol with after market sight, grips, trigger and slide release looks like a 1985 Practical Shooting pistol. If you are interesting in buying take it to a gunsmith for a proper inspection as those guns were overworked and let him also measure the inside of the barrel and chamber to see if it is still in specs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2