Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: .22 Short?

User

Default .22 Short?

Could some one give some more info on the .22 Short? What's it's role? Can it be safely shot in a .22LR rifle?

Banned

Default Re: .22 Short?

Google gives a lot of info.

The important issue is the short in a long rifle chamber. The residue of the charge can build up to make chambering of a long rifle difficult, so having a cleaning rod and patches with you when doing that, is important. I dont think that any permanent damage will be sustained.

Banned

Two questions:

- Which type of solvent works good to clean built-up residue?

- Can .22 Short bullets easily get stuck in a rifle barrel? My .22 rifle had a bulge, and Dr Google said that is often due to .22 Short cartridges getting stuck.

User

I use ,22 short a lot in my very old Anschutz of vague origin, about a seventies vintage.
    For a silenced rifle, it is markedly quieter than any subsonic I have used. Accuracy does not suffer up to 25m, that's as far as I can shoot in my garden.
    Never paid much attention to specific cleaning fluids, just a nylon brush and some Ballistol every now and then.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Two questions:

- Which type of solvent works good to clean built-up residue?

- Can .22 Short bullets easily get stuck in a rifle barrel? My .22 rifle had a bulge, and Dr Google said that is often due to .22 Short cartridges getting stuck.
    IMO just about any penetrating oil and a copper bristle brush should do the job.

I have shot quite a few hundred Swartklip 22 Shorts through my 22LR rifle. The HV's were supersonic and very noisy. The SV's were quiet with the suppressor. I used them to snipe the rats in and around a shed. Trajectory was slightly lower than the subsonics I normally used. The lower weight (29gn) of the Shorts caused less collateral damage when they zipped through the rats. (I did not own an airgun at the time.)

I never had one get stuck, but I have seen enough old 22 rifles with bulged barrels to suspect that it did happen occasionally. I suspect the bulges were caused by bullets getting stuck due to a squib load, and another shot being fired to get it out again. That could happen with any load.

User

Interesting info thanks. I have had excellent results with CCI Quiets to deal with Indian Mynahs. They much more silent than my air rifle or standard sub sonics. But, 40gr at 750fps are overkill for Mynahs. May just give the Short load a go.

User

I've never heard of shorts being a problem. Many of the Winchester and Remington "saloon guns' ie. pump action and lever actions with tubular mags are marked "suitable for ,22 Short, Long and Long Rifle"".

User

I always used a fired "empty case", to remove the buildup inside the chamber after shooting shorts in my target pistol but I must admit I never shot a lot of shorts before inserting the LR case and then continue with LR's.

User

Gave some S&B shorts a go. Works well, So far I'm on three Mynahs. Initial testing at 25m showed it wasn't as accurate as the CCI Quiets but il recheck after a box through the barrel. Can't say theres a big difference in sound level Vs CCI Quiets.

User

Can you buy .22 Short on a .22 LR licence?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast