Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Better than bare minimum rifle safe recomendations.

Hi All,

I'm in the process of moving house, and looking for a safe for the new house.

Any recommendations for something a little better than your standard 3mm body, 6mm door rifle safes?

In my experience they are super easy to cut. All I seem to find are the standard 'tin can' safes, or VERY expensive monsters. So I'm wondering if there is something in the middle, that I'm just not finding. like 6mm sides and 10mm door or something.

Thanks

Default Re: Better than bare minimum rifle safe recomendations.

If in CPT try SA safe.

Even a 10mm Door they will cut open if they have time. Or merely remove from wall and take with them

User

I don't see the point. They'll get into whatever you get. To be honest if I get my own place I want to build a walk-in. That should be the hardest to get into, and I don't wager it'll be much more expensive than a proper big-ass safe anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    If in CPT try SA safe.

Even a 10mm Door they will cut open if they have time. Or merely remove from wall and take with them
    Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Their heavy duty safes seem to fit the bill.

I know it can still be removed, but it's heavier, making it much harder to carry, and that extra thickness will just complicate the burglar's life a little bit.

Those 3mm body safes are actually stupidly easy to cut, or just to wack open the door with an axe and 10 pound hammer.

Use Chemical Anchor to mount. Rather then Bolts.

Banned

Contact a locksmith. They sometimes have older but usable safes for sale, or know where to get them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I don't see the point. They'll get into whatever you get. To be honest if I get my own place I want to build a walk-in. That should be the hardest to get into, and I don't wager it'll be much more expensive than a proper big-ass safe anyway.
    If the safe is too hard to get into, or contains something they really want, the crooks will simply wait till the boss gets home and "persuade" him/her to open it up.

User

For mounting the safe, another option to give peace of mind is to use M16 expansion anchors (commonly called rawlbolts).

The M16 is a tad bit bigger than the minimum M10 as specified and the expansion footprint within the masonry is probably double the area if not a bit more than the M10

My minimum I use is 4 x M12 expansion anchors on larger more sturdy safes and 2 x M16 on smaller safes.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Use Chemical Anchor to mount. Rather then Bolts.
    There is a challenge at times with chem anchor fixings in that if the hole drilled is not cleaned properly with a round brush and blown clean then the epeoxy bond is only with the surface dust residue within the drilled hole.

Depending on the experience of the user the bond can either be decently bonded with the masonry substrate or only surface bonded with the dust residue within the hole.

With improper use a expansion anchor can also be incorrectly installed and locked in place so both have their flaws when it comes to human error.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    If the safe is too hard to get into, or contains something they really want, the crooks will simply wait till the boss gets home and "persuade" him/her to open it up.
    Hopefully the owner will carry a gun and defend himself accordingly, should this happen.

Thanks for all the responses. I've contacted Sa Safe. They have a 10mm body, 10mm door safe that looks great. weights 300kg, so that will also help. If that's too expensive there is a 6mm body, 10mm door model that I'm also eyeing. Waiting on the quote.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast