Thread: Strider Knives

Default Strider Knives

I am looking at getting an SMF from True North Knives, but would prefer to support a local distributor. Anyone here stocks strider blades?

Default Re: Strider Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    I am looking at getting an SMF from True North Knives, but would prefer to support a local distributor. Anyone here stocks strider blades?

Only Person that might be able to help you is Stan Gordon.

South Africa
    Blade Trader
    Voice: 27-11-786-4834
    Fax: 27-11-786-9949
    bladetrd@netactive.co.za

He is the biggest importer of knives into SA.

If you are going to buy from a dealer overseas and you go with insured mail the amount will be disclosed. Then the following applies: (This is for a knife $385 at a exchange rate of 7.4 I think)

In response to your query kindly be advised that the rate of duty on goods classifiable under tariff heading 8211.9.30 is currently 20%, VAT is payable at the standard rate of 14%.

The duty and VAT is calculated on the Customs Value (CV) of the imported item, this value excludes freight and insurance charges and other non dutiable charges. The value of the item in foreign currency must be converted to the Rand value by applying the appropriate rate of exchange which is the selling rate at the date of shipment of the item as determined by the Commissioner for Customs and Excise in consultation with the South African Reserve Bank.

As an example using the value of R3 200 as the Customs Value; the duty and VAT will be calculated as follows:

Duty = CV x Rate of Duty = R3 200 x 20% = R640.00

VAT = ATV x 14%
    Where ATV = CV + 10% of CV + Duty = (R3200 + R320 + R640) = R4 160

Therefore VAT = R4 160 x 14% = R582.40

Total payable = Duty + VAT = R1 222.40

This on a knife at retail for R4500 at Sharp Edge, so I dont safe much.

]You might want to look into buying a knife from an international forum such as Bladeforums where the knife is sold by individuals, it can be traced, but then the amount disclosed is not correct to miss the customs duty and tax........if you want to go that way....note it is frowned upon and if suspicious and you get caught it is a large fine.

If you want to go through Stan then he deals with customs, importing etc and he deals with theft if the knife is lost, if he says its fine by him. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks so much Marthinus. I will give Stan a call and let you know what he says.

Pleasure. I also want a Strider, but it will have to wait at the moment. Good luck

18-xray,member here,is a Strider importer.
    i take knives to a gunfight

Thanks Harm for the info!