Default Easy.

IMHO, the easiest antelope to hunt.

User

Default Re: Easy.

"Blesbok" if i am not mistaken.
    Also makes very nice biltong

User

Bontebok. I have never seen one, but suspect it would be a similar hunt to a blesbok or Red hartebees.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Drakensberger View Post
    Bontebok. I have never seen one, but suspect it would be a similar hunt to a blesbok or Red hartebees.
    Ooops

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post

Very nice pic.

Your observation probably explains partly why they were almost shot to extinction (along with habitat encroachment and "unintended" / ignorant introduction of blesbok, leading to interbreeding)

I have never shot one myself, and are not remotely interested in doing so, I have hunted several with clients and it is more a matter of collecting than actually hunting, in my experience. They seem to have little fear of humans and are curious almost to the point of being suicidal.
    This seems to be true even on farms where they are regularly hunted. As Pirate states above, this is probably why bontebok almost became extinct.
    They are really colorful antelope compared to blesbok, to which they are really closely related. In fact, there are scientists that maintain that they are just different races of the same subspecies.
    This one was photographed in the Bontebok National Park at Swellendam.

User

We always look forward to seeing them when travelling from Kommetjie to Simonstown. There is a population in a park/reserve on the right and if you stop to have a good look at them the invariably feed toward you and are very curious and unfazed. Pretty.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    1: Steenbok, their first defense mechanism is to stand still and hope you don't see them.
    2: Ribbok, especially in the karoo, their terrain really makes it extremely easy to hunt and shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    1: Steenbok, their first defense mechanism is to stand still and hope you don't see them.
    2: Ribbok, especially in the karoo, their terrain really makes it extremely easy to hunt and shoot them.
    I have hunted both of these quite a bit and while they are hardly the most challenging game, bontebok makes steenbok and mountain reedbuck seem like a really shrewd and challenging quarry.

User

Makes me think of the historic accounts of the migrating springbok herds in the Karoo, numbers so large the herd took several days to pass by.
    Or the great slaughter of the ribbok all over the counry by the boers.

If antelope are difficult to hunt now, we made them that way, it sounds simple but it's a concept that must sink in to be understood properly.
    There were no great hunters on the far olden days, and there was no need for any.
    Modern hunters like to romanticize the olden days, not knowing their thinking is flawed, historically incorrect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast